PDA

View Full Version : printing problem

pummer
07-18-2003, 01:38 AM
linux newbie running an HDD install of knoppix. when trying to add a printer I get the following error:

"Unable to retreive the printer list. Error message received from manager:

Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused."

Any ideas?

Stephen
07-18-2003, 02:48 AM
linux newbie running an HDD install of knoppix. when trying to add a printer I get the following error:

"Unable to retreive the printer list. Error message received from manager:

Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused."

Any ideas?
There is a bug in the install and cups does not get started on boot like it should. Try from a console window as root /etc/init.d/cupsys start to start the cups daemon.

You may also if you want cups started on boot every time to add the line to the bottom of the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh.

pummer
07-18-2003, 05:03 AM
i'd like it to start every time i guess, but every time I go to open that file I get problems... and i'm trying as root too...

Stephen
07-18-2003, 05:25 AM
i'd like it to start every time i guess, but every time I go to open that file I get problems... and i'm trying as root too...

Are you talking about the /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh file? You should be able to open it no problem even as regular user you just would not be able to write to it, can you post the error you get?

With the cupsys file you are just starting the daemon if that is the one you are trying to open.

Hayabusa
07-18-2003, 06:15 AM
if you're using KDE have you tried configuring your printer from the KDE control center (under peripherals ->printers)?

That's how I set mine up and I have no problems printing or have the cups service not start for me.

pummer
07-18-2003, 08:20 PM
stephen: Yes, I'm talking about the bootmisc.sh.

Hayabusa: That's the point where I get the CUPS error...