PDA

View Full Version : "Dual"/Two Joysticks Loading Issues

DaRacerz
07-18-2003, 03:42 AM
Hi

I have two joysticks connected upto my system at all times, and they both just happen to be from the Microsoft Sidewinder Series with USB Connectors.

I want both of them to work! (duh). Here's what I have tried:

USB Drivers Already Loaded (from Autodetect):
modprobe joydev sidewinder
jstest /dev/js0 - WORKS!
jstest /dev/js1 - FAILURE!
( CLI Msg. - jstest: No such device )

Why ain't Joystick Two Working? Under /dev/js0, only one of the Joysticks Respond. Now heres the catch, during testing, somehow I got both to show up and worked 100% and DIDN"T write down the command I used!!!! But since I reset the computer to see if I can replicate the results, I can not get it to work again. Fluke? I hope not. Is there a special command I am missing? Anyways, throw me your ideas, be glad to test and thanks for your time!

Mark

Stephen
07-18-2003, 04:07 AM
Why ain't Joystick Two Working? Under /dev/js0, only one of the Joysticks Respond. Now heres the catch, during testing, somehow I got both to show up and worked 100% and DIDN"T write down the command I used!!!!
Mark

If you are running from the HD you can salvage the command if you have not entered too many more commands, I assume you were root while doing this so open a root console and type history and it will print the entire history of commands run.

For both my AWE64 and SB live cards I had to have an alias in /etc/modutiles/aliases for my just regular sidewinder to work.

# Added by me for sidewinder joystick
alias char-major-13 sidewinder

There is also a pre-install line that is used in the same file for the SB live it would be:

pre-install sidewinder modprobe joydev ; modprobe emu10k1-gp

Also the sidewinder module had to be in the /etc/modules file for it to work you may need to do something similar for the second one, still haven't figured out how to get it to work with the AC97 gameport but that's another matter.

DaRacerz
07-19-2003, 07:55 PM
Ok, heres some clarification. This is not running off a hd install, but a remaster version in which I do not keep the history bash files. I guess I should. :)! I haven't tried what you mentioned yet Stephen cause I haven't had the time to do it. Been busy last few days.

Though, one interesting thing I did come about is inconsistancy. I went back to doing 'modprobe joydev sidewinder' after I posted and surprisingly enough both joysticks started working again together. But there are times where only one will appear instead. Any reason for this?

Stephen
07-19-2003, 08:55 PM
Though, one interesting thing I did come about is inconsistancy. I went back to doing 'modprobe joydev sidewinder' after I posted and surprisingly enough both joysticks started working again together. But there are times where only one will appear instead. Any reason for this?

That's a good question and one for which I don't really have any answer for. It could be and irq conflict happening after they are in use or something like that or it could be the computer gods smiling down on you giving you a moment of pleasure before the pain of trying to get all the pieces of your machine to work together which unfortunately seems to be the case all to often.

If you get them working together again go to the Info Center which is off the System menu and start checking around in there to see what is being used by each joystick this can give you something to start with to try and track down the problem.