PDA

View Full Version : "Johnny Linuxseed"

Loper
01-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Im not sure if those of you outside the U.S. are familiar with this true story:

"In the early part of the 19th century, Johnny Appleseed created apple orchards in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Ohio over a 49-year period. After 200 years, some of those trees still bear apples."

I'm after a "fruit" of a different kind. I have been making Knoppix discs from current distributions for a while. Some of these I sell for a nominal charge (I'm out of work -- it helps!) -- but some of them I give away to those who I think may find them a useful introduction to Linux.

I think this is a useful "seeding" project; many of us have CD burners and can get discs fairly cheaply. Even if it's only used as a Windows rescue disc, it's still worthwhile -- and some of the the recipients may go on to learn more and pass copies on themselves. In my opinion, it doesn't take a large number of discs to make an impact. I would like to see your thoughts on this subject.

stonent
01-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Interesting idea. It reminds me of the old days of linux where you could get on CD mailing lists where people would send you their old linux cds. Considering many of us burn the latest knoppix when it comes out, we end up having spare old ones. Those would be perfect for give-aways.