PDA

View Full Version : A note of thanks

Christopher Webster
07-18-2003, 02:03 PM
I wanted to express my thanks to everyone involved in the creation of Knoppix for saving me a whole bunch of time and expense.

I've been trying to connect my home PC (running under operating software which I won't name here) to a broadband network. Total lack of success. Broadband provider unable to suggest anything productively helpful. Essentially no diagnostics. Where would one start?

A friend (thanks, Peter) suggested booting the PC from the Knoppix CD. This inspired suggestion has enabled me to sideline all issues of configuring the target operating software and its drivers, and to discover with certainty (1) that my LAN interface hardware is working fine, and (2) that my RJ45 extension cable is defective. Getting those variables out of the way has better than halved the original problem size, I reckon. I anticipate a complete resolution shortly.

I therefore thouroughly recommend the Knoppix CD as a diagnostic tool for circumstances like these.

Thanks again.

aay
07-18-2003, 06:30 PM
One of the nice things about Knoppix is the many uses to which it lends itself. Some people use it as a troubleshooting or a rescue CD (there are tons of rescue type programs on the CD - most of which aren't listed in the K menu) while others, like myself, use it as an easy way to install Debian onto a desktop or laptop. Others use it as a means to have a familar linux desktop with them wherever they travel (with their settings saved onto some form of removeable media). In any event I'm glad it was useful to you.

Jeff Harrison
07-25-2003, 10:32 AM
I too find Knoppix very interesting. I love being able to boot an entire OS with internet access and all straight from the CD not waisting time doing an install. I have recommemded Knoppix to several more friends and given a couple CDs away so these friends can show others how great Linux is and how easy it is to use.

Keep up the great work!!!!

Jeff

djeaux
09-01-2003, 04:27 PM
Although I fiddled a little bit with UNIX systems in grad school years ago & am pretty adept with PC's in general, I was a little put-off by the prospect of partitioning my Windows system to install Linux. Fortunately, I found Knoppix & have been amazed with everything about it. Maybe that partition job will be worth my while after all.

It's also great to be able to run *NIX utilities that don't have equivalents on Windows (or for which the Windows ports are severely limited). While my workplace requires Windows, I now have a "portable" OS to get some of my jobs done.

Thanks to those responsible for Knoppix! Magic! :D

tekmate
09-02-2003, 01:12 AM
I agree with everyone here thanks to everyone that made Knoppix possible. I am running it installed on my laptop and carry the CD everywhere I go.

bongski55
09-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Thank you Mr.Knopper for a great distro!
Eagerly awaiting the next release!

Superstoned
09-02-2003, 06:24 PM
I fully agree with the other ppl who posted here - I love knoppix, for me it is THE linux solution. finally something I can reccomend to anybody - you can never say it is difficult to install, or to start working with it ;)

estranged
09-06-2003, 08:34 AM
I tried Red hat from 7.1 all the way to 8.
Mandrake 8.0
Suse 8.1 and 8.2/.

Knoppix has me gone all kookoo though. I like Suse ALOT but i dunno knoppix seems more on the edge. More slim i should say and more generic on the setup. Generic is good for me.

And I am actually learning more and more about Linux with this Distro. Its user friendly yet you need to do some tweaking on your own on some things.

Other distros are a pain in the butt in places where they DONT have to be and I didnt learn half of what I learned (shell wise) with knoppix with the other big distros.

BTW am windows free 100% for 5 months now and am not even looking back.

Well i miss some games though alot :(

aay
09-06-2003, 02:27 PM
And I am actually learning more and more about Linux with this Distro. Its user friendly yet you need to do some tweaking on your own on some things.(

I agree. I've acutally "used" knoppix to help me further my linux knowledge also. Another great way is to try and read a lot of the posts and help people out here and in the irc channel. I've learned A LOT that way.