PDA

View Full Version : Help using KNOPPIX 3.2

yhw22
07-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Hi, i'm new 2 using linux s/w, & like 2 learn using it.

Can any1 tell me where can i find a e manual book or guide on using it?? I haf been using ms-windows for yrs!!! So now 1 2 noe more abt linux!!!

Please help. Wat sure e basic thing dat i must noe 1st!!!

thanx!!!! :)

rickenbacherus
07-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Have you booted the Knoppix cd yet? Tha's the best way to learn Linux that I know of. Just do it.

Here's the Newbie Admin Guide (http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/) and the Rute users Guide (http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz)

That'll get you started. Also check out the link in my sig line for more how-to's than you can shake a stick at.

yhw22
07-21-2003, 02:56 AM
Have you booted the Knoppix cd yet? Tha's the best way to learn Linux that I know of. Just do it.

Here's the Newbie Admin Guide (http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/) and the Rute users Guide (http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz)

That'll get you started. Also check out the link in my sig line for more how-to's than you can shake a stick at.

i had a problem booting e cd. it stated that "Can't find KNOPPIX Filesystem". it redirect me 2 e CLI, instead of GUI (as i expected)!!

rickenbacherus
07-21-2003, 03:03 AM
Did you burn your own cd? Did you check the md5sum before you burned it? What type of drive are you trying to boot from. Is it external?

yhw22
07-21-2003, 03:06 AM
i burn e cd myself. how to use e checksum 2 check e size of e files? i'm using a internal Sony DVD-ROM. so wat is e problem??

thanx

rickenbacherus
07-21-2003, 03:20 AM
OK first off- tone it down with e lingo e!
Secondly, just do this:

md5sum knoppix3.2blah.iso

yhw22
07-21-2003, 03:43 AM
where can i get e file md5sum??? Note: i'm using ms-windows now

Loper
07-21-2003, 04:39 AM
where can i get the file md5sum??? Note: i'm using ms-windows now
A quick Google search turned up http://www.etree.org/md5com.html for download and usage instructions for md5sum.exe (I think that's where I got it myself). Once you get Knoppix up-and-running, md5sum is already installed under Linux.

You can also enter the cheat-code Knoppix testcd at the Boot: prompt to have the disc check itself.

rickenbacherus
07-21-2003, 04:52 AM
where can i get e file md5sum??? Note: i'm using ms-windows now

Oh yeah- you're using windows...there's a link in the docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading) for checking md5's under win too if the other doesn't work out for ya.

aay
07-21-2003, 05:49 AM
Can't he just use the testcd cheatcode? I thought that Klaus now includes a copy of the md5sum on the cd and has testcd check against it.

yhw22
07-21-2003, 10:26 AM
where can i get the file md5sum??? Note: i'm using ms-windows now
A quick Google search turned up http://www.etree.org/md5com.html for download and usage instructions for md5sum.exe (I think that's where I got it myself). Once you get Knoppix up-and-running, md5sum is already installed under Linux.

You can also enter the cheat-code Knoppix testcd at the Boot: prompt to have the disc check itself.

i had use e md5sum 2 check, and it is 'ok'. so now wat is e problem, dat give a error msg "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry."

Help!!

Doc
07-21-2003, 11:43 PM
Sorry, can't hold back any longer.......

WITH THAT ABUSE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, PLEASE!!!!

Jeez, you wanna ask for help then do so properly.

Edited for profanity also the OP may not have that good a grasp of the English language you may want to take that into consideration.

Stephen

Doc
07-22-2003, 09:08 PM
My apologies...

yhw22
07-23-2003, 05:12 AM
My apologies...

i accept. do you guys dont use short form during messaging??? this way is faster!! as long as it is an understandable language!!

ok, back to the topic, i had even try the method of using cheatcode at the Boot: by typing 'knoppix testcd", but it since to have no response or any different without typing the cheatcode. :(

rickenbacherus
07-23-2003, 06:36 AM
i accept. do you guys dont use short form during messaging??? this way is faster!! as long as it is an understandable language!!

That's just it- I for one had a very hard time understanding it. Anyway........I would dl a new .iso from a Knoppix mirror, check the md5sum before burning, get a different brand of media and see if that disc wouldn't boot then. There is no reason that it can't find its own filesystem- it's right there on the cd after all. Your cd almost has to be corrupted. There are machines that have problems booting syslinux tho.

Stephen
07-23-2003, 07:41 AM
My apologies...

Now after having read the response I share your original assessment of the situation without the profanity of course. :?

Doc
07-23-2003, 09:43 PM
Cheers! He-he.... there's enough of that "lingo" when playing Counterstrike, don't want to see it becoming commonplace on this forum.

On a side note, if you actually type your messages in full you'll find that you're typing skills vastly improve in a short time :D

yhw22
07-24-2003, 05:01 AM
The CD start booting up, it will start to prompt by "Boot:", then it will show the "Welcome" message and then it start scanning for devices (I think so, as I saw hardware device). After the scanning, an error message appear.

During the downloading time, I'm using Getright software to download it, and use of multiple website, as I found some of the websites are too slow. Do you think these may be the problem. Even with the help of md5sum or knoppix testcd, also unable to detect the error.

Or is it the method I burn the CD is wrong? First I downloaded the file "KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.iso", then I unzipped it, these is to retrieve a file "boot.img" to make it bootable. I use Nero software to make a bootable CD and at the same time burn the file "KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.iso" into a 700MB CD.

I will re-download again, see got any problem with it. Shit, it going to take me another few hours to download again!!!!!! :cry:

Any advise on downloading it, to minmise error, can I use software like Getright to download with multiple segments?

Thank :)

Doc
07-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Yikes! Don't understand why you are unzipping it to get at the boot.img file..

Here's what I did:

1. Download the ISO (didn't use any download managers, shouldn't really make any difference though)
2. Right clicked the ISO and chose RECORD TO CD (Roxio EasyCD Creator) - I also tested this with Nero: File->Burn Image and it works fine.

Hope this helps - if you still got the ISO on your system try the above, if not, good luck downloading another version.

yhw22
07-25-2003, 03:27 AM
Yikes! Don't understand why you are unzipping it to get at the boot.img file..

Here's what I did:

1. Download the ISO (didn't use any download managers, shouldn't really make any difference though)
2. Right clicked the ISO and chose RECORD TO CD (Roxio EasyCD Creator) - I also tested this with Nero: File->Burn Image and it works fine.

Hope this helps - if you still got the ISO on your system try the above, if not, good luck downloading another version.

I had try the method just burn the file ISO only, and it didn't boot at all (It directly go to my HDD, without any prompting or "Welcome" messages).

I need the boot.img file, so that to make a bootable disk. In these case, at least I saw the prompt Boot: and "Welcome" messages.

Questions: Do we need to make the disk bootable? Just the ISO file good enough, no other files needed?

Thank

Doc
07-25-2003, 10:03 PM
I need the boot.img file, so that to make a bootable disk. In these case, at least I saw the prompt Boot: and "Welcome" messages.

You don't need the boot.img file to make the CD.... it's in the ISO

Questions: Do we need to make the disk bootable? Just the ISO file good enough, no other files needed?

Yes, just the ISO burnt straight to CD. You end up with a bootable CD because the ISO is an "image" of a working bootable CD in the first place.

Keep trying :D

yhw22
07-26-2003, 02:33 AM
Hey the new version of KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-07-25 is out. I will download these new version to try again.
:)

yhw22
07-26-2003, 07:24 AM
I had downloaded the lastest version 2003-07-25.

To check using md5sum, is this the correct way to check , which I follow the method tought by the website

c:\md5sum -c KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-07-25-EN.iso.md5

reply:
KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-07-25-EN.iso: ok

I think there should be no problem burning it! :)

yhw22
07-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Hey guys, thank for all your help. I had successful burn KNOPPIX_V3.2.

Just to summarise, how I succeed:
Use Nero software, if your Nero software started with a 'New Compliation', quit it
Then from the File-Burn Image-choose the file KNOPPIX_V3.2xxx.iso-Write

Once it is burn into the CD, the CD will contain the unzip version of the ISO file.

Hope this will help other peoples whom are unfamilar with burning KNOPPIX.
:D