PDA

View Full Version : USB STICK Newbie question

translator
07-20-2003, 12:06 PM
I am an utter newbies, and havent even finished reading the manuals yet!

Thanks to Partition Magic 8, my Desktop with Knoppix installed has crashed.
So I tried loading it from the cd on my laptop.

The laptop has 3 USB ports, and I have a 128 MB USB stick. However, this works unreliably with Windows XP, and I have been advised to reinstall XP from scratch.

However, before doing this, I wondered if the stick would be recognized/work with Knoppix run from the CD but not installed on the hard disk (yet).

Is it HDA5, SDA1, or what? If I click on a non-existent drive, Knoppix hangs. Must I first mount it, and how? Of course, booting Knoppix from the CD I do not have a root password.

If I have to install Knoppix on the hard disk first, how do I then proceed to access the USB stick? Is it automatically mounted, or not?

garyng
07-20-2003, 01:53 PM
If the stick is supported, it should be available as sda1 automatically when it is plugged. try this with the stick plugged.

cat /proc/mounts

if you see /dev/sda1 or something like that(assuming you don't have other SCSI devices), it is recognized and can be mounted to any mount point. If you see nothing, it is not supported and there is no way you can have it recognized running from a CD version. Even if you HD install it, you have to grab the linux kernel source and patch it to have your device recognized. Not an easy task.

Dave_Bechtel
07-21-2003, 12:10 AM
--Do ' fdisk -l /dev/sd? ', as shown. This tells fdisk to search all sd* devices. I had one case where the USB drive ended up being /dev/sdb, with no partition - just sdb. So ' mkdir /mnt/tmp; mount /dev/sdb /mnt/tmp ' worked.

--I've heard Bad Things about the latest PM; so I'm sticking with 7.01. Only supports up to 80 gig, so that's what I buy. ;-)

I am an utter newbies, and havent even finished reading the manuals yet!

Thanks to Partition Magic 8, my Desktop with Knoppix installed has crashed.
So I tried loading it from the cd on my laptop.

The laptop has 3 USB ports, and I have a 128 MB USB stick. However, this works unreliably with Windows XP, and I have been advised to reinstall XP from scratch.

However, before doing this, I wondered if the stick would be recognized/work with Knoppix run from the CD but not installed on the hard disk (yet).

Is it HDA5, SDA1, or what? If I click on a non-existent drive, Knoppix hangs. Must I first mount it, and how? Of course, booting Knoppix from the CD I do not have a root password.

If I have to install Knoppix on the hard disk first, how do I then proceed to access the USB stick? Is it automatically mounted, or not?