PDA

View Full Version : ok this is refering to the pci modem more............

cowmamba
07-22-2003, 02:34 AM
ok well sence im haveing so mutch freaking trouble with it i think imm just gonna go buy a modem that is supported and use that can someone give me a list of modem's that are supported that i could go out and buy and stick in my box that knoppix will reconize or will it work that way :? well i hope so thank's
oh and echochan (hope i spelled it rite ) if your looking at this no imm not in hong knong just the name of my site lol and also i know what you were talking about the bash shell and the scipt i figured it out but i still couldent get it to dial out but if i can just get a supported modem thatll be nice so thanks for your help i apreciate it thanks....

rickenbacherus
07-22-2003, 03:22 AM
Here's a couple of places you might look.

Linux Compatible (http://linuxcompatible.org/)

Linux hardware (http://www.linuxhardware.org/)

cowmamba
07-22-2003, 08:47 AM
ok i went to them site's and ive been doing alot of searching and i found one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=283260&Sku=U13-4004 i found it at another site for 49 anyways imm going to get it when i can pssh prolly be forever because i onley have a doller but anyways so once i get it and everything will knoppix automatcly detect it scence its linux compatable so it should rite i hope if anyone has that modem can you help me out will it or wont it detect the modem well thanks alot [/url]

cowmamba
07-23-2003, 06:13 AM
anyone ????? :cry:

cowmamba
07-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Does any one anyone know at all if that fill fix my problem if i buy that modem it should work then Rite Hello i need to know i dont mean to be meen or rude buy i just need to know because i have another expence i need to but and imm tore in between these two thing's so should buy the modem will it work because i dont want to blow the money and then it not work well thanks

rickenbacherus
07-24-2003, 03:04 AM
Dude- what's the name of the site you found it on???

If it was on either of the links I posted then.......it oughtta work right? If it wasn't then.......it's anyones guess right?

cowmamba
07-24-2003, 05:05 AM
yes it was at linux compatablilty http://linuxcompatible.org/ and that modem im just makeing shure because you never know i have bad luck i mean bad luck lol at least it seams like it most of the time anyways i was just wondering if it was safe to buy i mean that itll work knoppix will detect it and ill have no problems getten connected rite it should in therory and also do you know if imm shure it will with knoppix-std but what about some of the others like demo linux morpphix ,lnx bbc, damn small linux and the others i forgot to mention i hope so well thanks alot for your help

rickenbacherus
07-24-2003, 05:18 AM
It isn't a question of compatibility with a distro but rather a question of compatibility with Linux itself. I would recommend taking a list of modems w/ you to a flea market, electronics graveyard or what have you and finding a used modem. Is there any local media that has used pc components where you live? They are very common- it just needs to be a hardware modem. Some software modems do work with Linux but AFAIK most any hardware modem should work. As long as it's a 56k hardware modem you should be good to go right?

cowmamba
07-24-2003, 09:21 AM
the modem that imm looking at is the next to the last
USR5610B 56K Performance Pro Modem (US Robotics) http://linuxcompatible.org/compat.php?cat=All&sort=All&idx=u
it is listed as it is compatible with linux and no we dont have (local media places around here nor flea markets that often and if there is any flee markets here they dont have computer stuff ushualy realy stupid stuff that doesent amount to anything well i dont know imm just about ready to throw all of them in the trash and say screw it imm sick and tired of it thanks though i just cant see that anything is going to help i mean like we dont have any places that sell used computer components and stuff i am how ever going to go to bestbuy tommarow well toda because it's 3:22 am but imm going to check and see what they got i looked on there site but i cant find what imm looking for that i dont realy know what im looking for so a hardware based modem ok that modem that i have been talking about i think it is but it says that it's linux supported if you look at the next to the bottom one youll see it well thanks

Zver
08-01-2003, 11:21 PM
Basically dude, the simplest way to have a modem that works with linux, unix, BSD, QNX, BeOS etc... in fact, anything... is to buy a proper modem.

by a proper modem i mean an EXTERNAL modem that runs from one of the serial ports (NOT USB!!!) on your computer.

The internal modems (ISA excluded) almost always use some of your processor power to do the job that they should be doing.

You'll get a more reliable conection, and the ability to run any operating system without worries.

£29.00 in UK buys you a decent V92 external modem, why waste money on an internal jobby?

as a side note, internal modems also will increase the heat inside the case of your computer, external ones are a nice foot warmer in winter ;-)