PDA

View Full Version : New User in Knoppix

andrewc2189
07-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Can somone help me by telling me how to add a new user in knoppix or even better how to login as root. I know that they have locked all passwords in knoppix but if anyone knows a way to login as root I would greatly appreciate it. My reason is because you may only install or unpack certain programs if you are root.

Thanks

Doc
07-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Hi there....

Can't remember off the top of my head what you do, but I have read posts in this forum with instructions for what you want to achieve. If you search the forum you'll get the answers.

This should help......

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2871#13501

:D

PS Think you use the command "adduser" in a shell, or try the KDE user manager thingy.

aay
07-22-2003, 10:20 PM
Can somone help me by telling me how to add a new user in knoppix or even better how to login as root. I know that they have locked all passwords in knoppix but if anyone knows a way to login as root I would greatly appreciate it. My reason is because you may only install or unpack certain programs if you are root.

Thanks

Are you running from the CD or from a hd? If you, are running from the CD and you want to become root, all you do is type "sudo su" from a shell.

But if you are running from the CD you won't be able to add users (I don't think). But if you are running from a hd, yes use the adduser command - as root.

andrewc2189
07-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Thank you for your help.
I am running from the cd now but may change to hd later.
I appreciate your replies.