PDA

View Full Version : New remaster- Overclockix

arkaine23
07-23-2003, 01:39 AM
This is geared towards system recovery and network admin stuff kind of like Knoppix STD. It has almost every added package found in Knoppix STD in fact. I also removed most of the games and there's only english and japanese language support. Lots of customization to KDE- karamba, slick cursors, backgrounds, icons... Included are the following burn-in / distributed computing clients:

folding@home (runs at startup)
setiathome
prime-net aka prime95
memtest86
dbench

supports nforce2 and broadcom (kt400) integrated NIC's

has f-prot ala fabianx scripts for virus scanning.

I also wrote a bunch of scripts to make using the DC clients easy for noobs. This is a great way to make diskless clusters for distributed computing, or burn-in a system with no OS installed.

Plans for the near future- OpenOffice 1.1, mozilla-firebird, support for some winmodems, Mplayer and video codecs, working transperancy in fluxbox.

http://overclockix.octeams.com/

Pjotr
07-28-2003, 11:36 PM
http://folding.octeams.com/oclinux/Overclockix_Coldfusion.iso

686mb, no md5sum for this one, sorry.

Your link doesn't work, unknown host for me... got a better one?

I really want it, as SETI and nForce2 on bootable CD is exactly what I want.

arkaine23
07-30-2003, 05:42 AM
Link fixed. It was a case-sensitive issue, the f in fusion needed to be capitalized.

I'm sending out an imporved version in a day or two. I accidentally broke samba in the current version of overclockix. Also adding the F-prot scripts by FabianX for virus scanning, and lucifer- another burn-in app. It will be named the same as the current iso, so the link own't change. I'll post when the updated version has been uploaded.

tigrris
08-02-2003, 12:13 PM
hello!

would overclockix be reachable by an ftp server?
i'v read on this forum that it works with nvidia nforce NIC - but do someone tested it with Abit NF7S?

best regards,
tigrris

arkaine23
08-04-2003, 09:28 PM
It hasn't been tested on the NF7 as far as I know. Someone tried it on an Asus A7N8X (non-deluxe) and it worked. Any NF2 board that uses the nvnet linux nic driver should work.

The link in this thread should work. I'd post an ftp link, but last time I did, my friend's ftp server got overloaded.

email me and I can send you an ftp link
arkaine23@excite.com

subject: Overclockix

Onebeer
08-05-2003, 09:17 AM
I downloaded your re-master the other night.. Haven't burned it on CD yet but I booted it from a VMware session and am very impressed so far. I had to make the fonts go back to their default tho it was too hard to read for me. ("sorry")

GOOD JOB!! I'm going to have to learn how to re-master my own soon..I have a few ideas floating around but not sure where to start.

(my first post by the way)...long time lurker and Knoppix user tho.
javascript:emoticon(':D')

arkaine23
08-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Glad you like it. And glad you're interested in remastering. It's not all that hard to do, though you have to get used to what knoppix is and how it works differently as a live CD. Everyone is welcome to employ my DC client scripts found in /usr/local/bin. Though I need to change them for licensing purposes so that they download the DC clients using wget instead of using the clients I downloaded and installed into the CD file system.

I've added F-prot scripts (by fabianX), kdfold, lucifer, and a few other things since the original relase. I keep using the same filename each time I update, so that link is always the most current version. Still have to tweak on the icewm and fluxbox menus....

Its easy to change the KDE fonts if they are hard for you to read. ;)
I used those to give an "arkaine" feel to the OS.

Remeber to use trhe knoopix screen= cheatcode to set the resolution. I think it defaults to 640x480.

tigrris
08-10-2003, 10:40 AM
hello again!

i'v finally downloaded overclockix and extracted the iso with zipgenius to my hdd (i don't have cd writer to burn it). i'v created the boot diskette with rawrite2 but the system could not start - it stops on "laoding vmlinuz" process and the message is diplayed that system can not boot and change the disk then prees any key (sth like that ;)). i made another boot disk - but with this one all booting process stops after "loading miniroot.gz"
do u think that some files may be broken?
the foleder "knoppix" is on partition with fat system files.

best regards,
tigrris

==========
UPDATE

i'v tried some other floppy and now there's no problem with booting system - but still my NIC (nforce) is not detected...
pls heeelp! should i configure sth manually?

tigrris

arkaine23
08-11-2003, 07:28 AM
hmm, sorry. I haven't tried hdd installing it, so I'm not sure what has to be done. You can look at the knxhddinstall script in /usr/local/bin to see what it does in order to convert the live cd into a useable installation. I imagine there are some steps aside from just decompressing that are required......

Or just find somewhere to burn the iso- a friend close by maybe?

I've updated it and consider it finalized. I still accept requests and will add new drivers and software to it- have about 30mb of space before compression still to work with.

arkaine23
08-11-2003, 07:54 AM
If you got it in the last 10 days, I'm very sorry. I forgot to remove my resolv.conf before remastering. The new iso does not have this problem.

What you can do to fix it is-

figure out what your upstream nameservers are. Any knoppix cd should be able do this for you... just look at /etc/resolv.conf

rm /etc/resolv.conf
cp /KNOPPIX/etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
edit the file and change my nameservers to your nameservers

then restart networking
/etc/init.d/networking restart

audioaficionado
08-11-2003, 09:40 AM
arkaine23,

I'll finally try it on my NF7-S rig. I just DLed it and will burn it later this week.

Cya later,

tigrris
08-11-2003, 06:32 PM
hello!

as i assume - extracting iso to hdd and boot with floppy, should work the same as booting with cd.
i'v tried with the resolv.conf but it doesn't work.
when i start the netcardconfig it just says "no supported card found" (sth like that).

while booting all regognized devices are listed but there's no netcard and the message is shown: "Configuring network interfaces... Operation failed"

audioaficionado: i'm waiting for your experiments with overclockix :wink: and i hope u'll succeed and help the others :D ...

tigrris

arkaine23
08-12-2003, 04:58 PM
What I did was compile nvnet from source. Someone reported back that it worked on an A7N8X (non-deluxe). I've also had reports that it doesn't work on A7N8X deluxe and mixed results on NF7's. I have an 8rda and an A7N8X non-deluxe, but those computers are in storage for a few more days until I can finish moving... I'll test them, and I'd appreciate anyone else who tries Overclockix on an NForce2 board to let me know if the onboard NIC works.

You can always use a PCI NIC......

Overclockix is essentially Knoppix STD but the desktop is tweaked and there are burn-in applications and DC clients and some added filesystem utilities and low-level hardware tools..

PS2pcGAMER
08-13-2003, 02:48 AM
Just wanted to say I love having the nforce drivers and F@H all on one CD. Thanks, it works great with my NF7-S.

tigrris
08-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Just wanted to say I love having the nforce drivers and F@H all on one CD. Thanks, it works great with my NF7-S.

could u give us some more details? which revision of nf7-s? r u using overclockix? does it detect your NIC autamatically?

arkaine23
08-13-2003, 01:37 PM
Some things I forgot to mention about folding and seti:

1) USB pen drive persisent home rocks! Keeps your wu's safe against a reboot/ or powerloss.

2) If you want to use wine for folding@home, and later decide to switch back to using native linux, make sure to delete your FahCore_*.exe's. My script winefold does this automatically, but my scripts for native linux don't. It's just a good idea in general to delete the cores when switching between the win and lin folding clients in order to prevent WU corruption or stalling due to FahCore problems.

PS. hope my documentation is not too confusing.

arkaine23
08-17-2003, 05:07 AM
New link: http://overclockix.octeams.com

Follow the links on that temporary page.

I'm now working on a new one, that's been apt-get upgraded (so most installed software is newer). I also added mozilla-firebird, mplayer and codecs, and Switched out openoffice 1.0.3 to Openoffice 1.1. Still woking on it. Need to alter the menus a bit for ice, flux, and KDE. And I'm trying to get transperancy to work in lfuxbox- so I'll probably install eterm and use esetroot instead of bsetbg for the backgrounds.

arkaine23
09-09-2003, 12:44 PM
I'm posting this in a few different threads to make it more visible for people who hdd-install Overclockix. I can say for sure that samba is configured correctly and works out-of-the-box so-to-speak when you hdd-install. When mapping network drives from windows- \\hostname\Overclockix will share the whole filesystem, or \\hostname\Homes will map just the home directories. Either way will allow access to the folding directory for EM3.

Here are some notes for you from my own hdd-install experience. I used one of the Technomancer builds, the beta's of Overclockix that have some newer, more desktop/multimedia-oriented software. Some things may apply to the "Eidolon" build and some may not.

The folder karmaba on the desktop has no icon. Set an icon for it by right-clicking it and choosing properties.
The folder karamba has no default application associated with it. Enter "/usr/bin/konqueror" in the dialog box that pops up and click the checkbox to remember that association.
The items inside the karamba folder need a slight edit. Right-click and choose properties. Go to the "Execute tab". In there, there's a line that has a long path which is the launch command for a particular karamba theme. Here's an example of what I'm talking about :

/usr/bin/karamba /KNOPPIX/data/karambatheme/Desktop/systemslickblue/systemslickblue.theme

You need to remove the "/KNOPPIX" so it looks like this:
/usr/bin/karamba /data/karambatheme/Desktop/systemslickblue/systemslickblue.theme

This is merely the result of thge re-ordering of files between the CD filesystem and your hdd install. There is no longer a /KNOPPIX once you've hdd installed so the paths to these karmab themes are broken and need this minor correction.

Viewfold script does not run correctly because the user knoppix no longer has super-excessive priveldges as a sudoer. You can alter permission of any custom script by becoming root and using chmod command on the script. For example:

su
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/viewfold

Or you can give the user knoppix super privledges as a sudoer:

su
cd /etc
visudo -f sudoers

uncomment (remove the "#" from) the last line which starts with #knoppix (this is vi , so just use the arrow keys to get the cursor on the "#" and then press x. Press- esc : w q when finished.

Setting up folding:

su
foldstartup
cfgfold
cd /etc/rc5.d
ln -s /usr/local/bin/foldon S99foldon
cd /etc/rc2.d
cd /etc/rc3.d
foldoff
foldon

If you prefer non-gromacs, use "foldon65" everywhere you see "foldon" above.

The procedure is the same for seti, but the command is setion instead of foldon, and cfgseti instead of cfgfold.

OpenOffice- as a regular user:
rm -rf /home/knoppix/.openoffice//1.1.0
ooffice

Mozilla-firebird is not starting for me.... Here's how I fixed it:
su
apt-get update
apt-get remove mozilla-firebird
apt-get install mozilla-firebird

Mplayer- gmplayer is the command that launches this app. It may not be in the kmenu depending on the build of overclockix you have.

You may need to do a little kmenuediting. This is not very hard. Run the command kmenuedit. I think you'll be able to look at what's there and figure out how to add new things. While you're at it, have some fun customizing the stuff found in the Control Center. There are more background screens in /usr/share/wallpapers and more icons in /usr/share/icons. You can of course download you own as well. www.kde-look.org is a great place to find cool stuff for you desktop. Some of the custom fluxbox settings didn't seem to take either, so you can edit the fluxbox config files in /home/knoppix/.fluxbox

Xchat icon in the taskbar is not working. Fix= delete it and create a new one. Same with gimp and xmms. Again, there are a couple of builds of Overclockix so I'm not sure if this problem exists in all of them.

igorft
09-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Arkaine23,

I tryied your CD with NFORCE2 drivers - network works fine, but there is no audio. I have Shuttle XPC SN41G2.

Any ideas what's wrong? :roll:

It' would be really nice to have a perfect CD (all hardware works). :lol:

arkaine23
09-12-2003, 05:43 AM
Don't I know it. I tried compiling the nvaudio driver but didn't have any luck there. The source for it is still on the CD (in /usr/src), so if you hdd install you may be able to compile it.

Maybe the knoppix=alsa will work?? I was more concerned about the NIC than the Sound since I have a Santa Cruz card and it works fine with Overclockix, but I may take another crack at it soon.

AlternateVirus
09-15-2003, 02:23 AM
i was wondering if you can figure out how to get it to detect Ati video cards?
use the ati latest cat linux drivers on their site.

arkaine23
09-16-2003, 06:32 PM
I did put the install-on-demand scripts by fabianX for 3d drivers of Ati and Nvidia cards on the Technomancer builds of overclockix. They're in /usr/local/bin, but I'm pretty sure the scripts were made before the newest ati dfrivers were released. There are also cheatocdes but I'm not sure that they force a 3d-capable driver or not.

Haven't tried it personally, as I still game in windows on 2 other computers at my house that are more suited to it (9700pro, 8500).

I'll be trying to make some improvements soon and a new build, so maybe I'll work on editing fabianX's ATI script to get the newer driver. I certainly have machines that could be good test subjects.. I've just got a lot of other projects right now and may take me a couple of weeks to get to it.

H1ghlander
09-17-2003, 10:58 PM
This is geared towards system recovery and network admin stuff kind of like Knoppix STD. It has almost every added package found in Knoppix STD in fact. I also removed most of the games and there's only english and japanese language support. Lots of customization to KDE- karamba, slick cursors, backgrounds, icons... Included are the following burn-in / distributed computing clients:

http://overclockix.octeams.com/

I checked out the page, but was unable to download the Overclockix-Technomancer-v2.iso

A typo, perhaps?

arkaine23
09-19-2003, 02:02 PM
double post

arkaine23
09-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Technomancer-V2. I pulled that one off my server. It was available for a short period, but I wanted to fix some bugs. Guess I still need to update my page. I haven't had time to work on overclockix recently, but I should get V2 back up in a week or two, and it'll have the toram and fromhd cheatcodes as found in the newest release of Knoppix.

stupidkid
09-26-2003, 05:25 AM
This cd so far is the best. I'm running the Abit NF7-S and my nvnet0 works too, thank god. But has anyone tried hdinstall and had the problem I am having. When i throw in the cd it fails to mount my third hard drive, HDE, wich is a 60 gig seagate (running witht he serial ata adapter this could be why . It says something like could not create directory /dev/ during startup. So when i run knx-hdinstall it doesnt find my hde. Any help on how to mount this via the cd would be helpful.:?:

I love the gimp shortcut, and gaim, very handy on a boring day of school. :?:

arkaine23
09-27-2003, 06:45 PM
I now have a forum for overclockix support! http://overclockix-forum.theaog.com

I'm glad you like it. :)

I would like to make some more improvements and fix some bugs, but finding the time for it is tough now. If anyone would like to do some work on this remaster as part of a team effort, they are welcome to.

Right now I'm fixing up my dually (gentoo install) and doing some maintenance on a couple of other boxes. I'm also working 4 jobs. But a newer, better Overclockix is still on my to do list and I will make some time for it as soon as I can.

Sorry I don't have an answer about your drive on an SATA port, or about getting onboard sound or ati 3d drivers working. You'll have to search around and see if you can find an answer. If the solution requires remastering the CD to add drivers or edit scripts, I'll do what can to make the improvements.