PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to make my laptop hibernate?

Coume
07-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way to make the laptop hibernate?

Thxs
Ludo

Edwin
07-23-2003, 09:34 PM
To hibernate (suspend) automaticly:

K-menu -> Power Control -> Display Power Control. Enable the checkbox.

On my Toshiba this somehow conflicts with Windows. Since I have this enabled Windows won't suspend my box when I close the lid. The control-panel says it should, but it won't. Disabling the checkbox at the Linux-end does not solve this. I can live with it. Don't see much Windows these days.

To do it manually: as root, in a console, type 'apm --suspend'.

To wake up I have to press ESC, but this could be a different key on your machine.

- - Edwin

aay
07-24-2003, 12:19 AM
To do it manually: as root, in a console, type 'apm --suspend'.

To wake up I have to press ESC, but this could be a different key on your machine.

- - Edwin

Right. I can put my laptop into suspend this way, but with the unfortunate side effect of not being able to get it out!

No luck with acpi on this laptop.

Coume
07-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Ok,
I'll try that.
Just have to reinstall from scratch Knoppix, and I will try.
Do I also need to patch the Kernel or the command as root is enought?

thxs
Ludo

Edwin
07-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Do I also need to patch the Kernel or the command as root is enought?

No patching requiered, just the command.

- - Edwin

Coume
07-28-2003, 06:07 AM
Oh, great!

I will try that tonight then :)
I hope it will works on this laptop!

Ludo

Gareth_Edwards
04-30-2004, 07:40 PM
I used knoppix and used my laptops hot key to put it suspend mode. However the next moring a tried to resume and my laptop will no longer boot up.

the ac power light, battery light and charging light come on there a breif sound for half a seconfd then nothing.

i have tried booting with the cd in and out

i have useed both ac power and battery, fully discharging the battery and recharging does not help.

i have tried removing the memory and reseating it.

my laptop is a iriduim starbook 800 (some uk manufacture) cheap really.
how can i sort this what could have possibley done. any help would be appreciated

The_Gareth_Edwards@hotmail.com

Durand Hicks
04-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Gareth, that sounds suspiciously like standby instead of suspend to ram. Many laptops (and desktops) have problems resuming from standy instead of suspend to ram. In standy mode, power doesn't go completely out, it kills the power to the monitor/lcd screen only and keeps power running on the other peripherals. Suspend to ram kills power to everything except for the ram (it looks very much like hibernation), except if your laptop/desktop has separate led's for the suspend and hibernation functions that will be your only visual cue if it did one or the other. Personally I have seen standby cause the monitor to fail on a couple of laptops when I closed the lid and then tried to resume the next morning. It resumed alright, but nothing showed on the screen and I had to use an external monitor from then on.
Coume,
You don't always have to use the commands from root, if you set the GID for your regular user account to be able to suspend/resume from your account. Also, if you're using kde, right click the battery icon and click suspend, that does the same thing as apm -s in a console.

knopp
06-06-2004, 04:25 AM
This all sounds a bit alarming.

Has anyone been successful using hibernation in Knoppix on a Toshiba A10 (without damaging the laptop)?

I'm running KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN from a poorman's hd install (planning a full hdinstall soon).