PDA

View Full Version : Network Problem with dhcp

Rakim
07-23-2003, 04:06 PM
Hi,

i userd the search Option quite a bit but couldnt find anything that helped me.

I have a Window's Computer that is hooked up to the Internet an has a Routing programm running on it.

My second computer uses DHCP to get an IP Adress from the Routing Programm. When i run Window's everything works joust fine.
I then used Knoppix booted from CD and everything worked fine as well.
Then i installed Knoppix to my Harddrive and everything worked no problem.
The next day i booted the machine and could not hook up with the Internet..
So i booted into Windows on that machine and everything worked.

Now when i use :

netcardconfig as root it tries to obtain an ip adress an return with :

Operation failed

Anybody out there that can help ?

Tanks in advance

rickenbacherus
07-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Try
/etc/init.d/networking restart

Then do
ifconfig -a and see if you have an i.p. address. If you do have an ip then try to ping.

Rakim
07-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the Answer

Like i said i get an operation failed and it doesent recieve an ip Adress.

Dhcp must be working correctly (at least for Window's) since when i boot Window's on that same machine everything works fine ....

If i set it to static the ip adress is applied and i can ping it. But it wont let me ping my other Computer

catfish
07-24-2003, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the Answer

Like i said i get an operation failed and it doesent recieve an ip Adress.

Dhcp must be working correctly (at least for Window's) since when i boot Window's on that same machine everything works fine ....

If i set it to static the ip adress is applied and i can ping it. But it wont let me ping my other Computer

I assume you mean you can ping the static IP address you assigned to the problematic machine, but cannot ping anything else on your LAN. Pinging your own IP doesn't actually transmit any bits "on the wire" (its like pinging the loopback address). This sounds like a problem "talking" to the NIC hardware - is the IRQ in knoppix the same as in windows and are there any error messages in the system log?

Good luck

Rakim
07-24-2003, 08:16 AM
again thanks for the Answer

I joust treid the ping to see if the adress was apllied.

Only Error Message that i can find ist the "Operation failed" .....

Now yesterday i tried the Networkconfig Programm agian and everything was working again. After another reboot i had the same problem i described in my first Post.

Got no clue whats goin on ;)

stupidkid
09-24-2003, 02:04 AM
I have almost this exact same problem, only mine quit working completely. Even after several reboots my network cannot find an ip address. It even shows the network card as being installed, but the light just blinks. Works fine in windows too. it sucks.. please let me know if you find anything out Rakim
thanks

Harry Kuhman
09-24-2003, 02:40 AM
I have almost this exact same problem, only mine quit working completely....

Have those of you with this problem tried sudo mii-tool -r and then netcardconfig? What are the results if you do?

stupidkid
09-24-2003, 04:41 AM
when i run sudo mii-tool -r, i guess this could be the problem right here

SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported no MII interfaces found

netcardconfig of course failed also..

Harry Kuhman
09-24-2003, 04:56 AM
when i run sudo mii-tool -r, i guess this could be the problem right here

SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported no MII interfaces found

May not be hopeless yet, I don't know what makes a NIC qualify as MII. Try this and see if it helps: boot, when you get to the Knoppix prompt boot in expert mode, then answer n to all qusetions. While my nic will not boot properly any longer, the mii-tool reset or this trick will let it work. No promises but worth a try.

bhurst
06-11-2004, 03:43 PM

Have those of you with this problem tried sudo mii-tool -r and then netcardconfig? What are the results if you do?

After a few hours of messing with ifconfig I stumbled uppon this and it worked perfectly for me.

It just came up with a prompt for Dhcp enalble, I clicked yes, and it retrieved my dynamic ip etc and I was off and running.

Thanks!

Harry Kuhman
06-11-2004, 07:19 PM
After a few hours of messing with ifconfig I stumbled uppon this and it worked perfectly for me.

It just came up with a prompt for Dhcp enalble, I clicked yes, and it retrieved my dynamic ip etc and I was off and running.

Thanks!
You might want to search this forum for two other threads I started for more details on this problem.

What flavor of Windows are you running? Did you accept "security updates" before this happened? Is you NIC built in to a notebook or motherboard, or is it a card that can easily be swapped with another one? What brand is the NIC?

DuckDodgers
06-11-2004, 11:46 PM
I had to run netcardconfig twice to get connected while using a D-Link DI-604 router, it always failed the first time. After a thunderstorm damaged the router while I slept, I replaced it with a Linksys and have not had any problems since. I do not have to run netcardconfig after booting anymore, always connected upon booting. 8)

idolcrash
06-15-2004, 03:32 AM
I've had this problem as well, same exact thing, but I've only been able to connect once. I will try these commands, but I have a feeling they won't work :(
There are linux drivers on the Linksys website, but I will use those as a last resort....

Wimmel
06-20-2004, 02:27 PM
stupidkid wrote:

Same problem here... and the "sudo mii-tool -r" results in: "restarting autonegotiation..." and after that my machine still doesnt get an IP using DHCP...

Anyone please? It works fine with K3.3 though at the same machine!
Wimmel