PDA

View Full Version : boot.img

A. Jorge Garcia
11-22-2002, 05:21 AM
Just wondering, in there a problem mixing the boot.img of one release (say 15-07-2002) with another's *.iso (say 08-11-2002)?

I'm asking because I just burned a few new CDR with the latest release of 3.1 and am having some problems during boot-up (several missing modprobes?). I never had this problem before, but I didn't make new boot disks this time either....

TIA,

eadz
11-23-2002, 01:04 AM
it depends if it's the same kernel _build_

becasue the kernel is on the boot.img, and the modules ( apart from the scsi and cloop modules ) are stored on the cd ( in the KNOPPIX file, when mounted under /lib/modules/2.4.xxx )

so basicly try it, but if Klaus has recompiled the kernel ( likely ) then it won't work

A. Jorge Garcia
11-23-2002, 03:49 AM
it depends if it's the same kernel _build_

so basicly try it, but if Klaus has recompiled the kernel ( likely ) then it won't work

OK, I tried the new burned cdr's with the right boot-en.img disk and had the same errors on boot-up. However, I tried the same boot procedure on some newer machines and had no problem. I think its the media. The old cd drives can't handle it. I used some TDK CDRs without a problem on these old machines, the new CDRs are some noname....

Thanx