PDA

View Full Version : Subject : Konferenz DVD 2003

mzee
07-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Was able to buy the Linuxtag 2003 DVD from Lehmanns- Berlin. At first sight : nice piece of work!

However was not able to use the DVD just as a Knoppic CD. The DVD boots and everything is normal till the opening screen (in KDE) with ao all the info about the DVD. After a few seconds the screen freezes : keyboard and mouse do't react. The only thing to do is to reset or to shut down. Same problem under Fluxbox : after a few seconds (trying to load Kshisen) I had to shutdown.

Should I blame the DVD-disk or my DVD/CDROM drive?

Thanks beforehand for any help.

Regards,

Georges.

rickenbacherus
07-23-2003, 11:06 PM
boot: knoppix testcd

mzee
07-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Thanks for good advice.

After 'Knoppix testcd" got :
"Reading files and checking against KNOPPIX?md5sums, this may take a while"

Waited for over three quarters of an hour. Still checking ... Then I shut the computer down. Is this normal on a Intel P4 2.40 Mhz with 512 MB Ram machine?

However does this prove anything?

Thanks for any comment.

Regards,

Georges.

rickenbacherus
07-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Not good- it should have returned after 10, maybe 15 minutes on the outside with "everything looks ok" Looks like maybe your cd's no good. The only other thing I can think of is booting it on another machine. Probably not what you wanted to hear eh?

mzee
07-25-2003, 07:51 AM
Thanks for kind reaction.

My problem is half solved ... Discovered by accident that everything goes fine if I remove an USb 2.0 memory stick. I can boot and use the DVD as a CD then. Same problem with Knoppix 2003-07-24.

With Knoppic 2003-06-06 everything went fine with that USb 2.0 memory stick. The trouble is now that I lose my /home-dir and my configuration when using the DVD or the Knoppix 2003-07-24.

Any idea?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Georges.

thadk
07-28-2003, 02:07 AM
Could you perhaps consider putting up an image of the DVD somewhere online? If you would I could probably make the effort to start up a bittorrent server--we'd need some more seeds (err?) as I only have a 256k upstream (i.e. ~40hr download for the DVD for one person) but it'd be a start.

Or maybe someone with more bandwidth would help and host it.

dandanfireman
09-03-2003, 04:05 PM
I would be willing to dedicate some bandwidth to the project. If someone who has the image, contact me at

dshurett (at) alphaomegahosting (dot) com