PDA

View Full Version : New Knoppix Release - V3.2-2003-07-24

aay
07-24-2003, 05:50 AM
V3.2-2003-07-24
- lots of package updates (KDE, koffice)
- knoppix-install from Fabian Franz
- switched to cloop V1.0 kernel module and file format
- Kernel 2.4.21

Have Fun!

Adam

kaplanfx
07-24-2003, 05:57 AM
is it up on any mirrors yet?

Stephen
07-24-2003, 06:36 AM
is it up on any mirrors yet?

Downloading from here (ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/) as I write this.

rickenbacherus
07-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Fabian- the install script is excellent! qtparted, your own user name....not to mention the new kernel Nice work again guys.

Sergio1704
07-24-2003, 07:33 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but if the new installer is indeed good, it is one of my big dreams come true: Debian Sid with a good, easy installation routine.
I wonder if Debian couldn't make it the default installer for any branch of Debian.

07-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Just completed hd install of 2003-07-24 but had to go with the Christian Perle script rather than the new Fabian Franz script I was expecting. What did I miss?

A. Jorge Garcia
07-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Anyone know if the printing problem was addressed?

See:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592

TIA,

sevengraff
07-24-2003, 09:21 PM
well of cource there is a new knoppix out, I just did an install of 2003-06-06!
New disk of damn small out also! too much to download!

rickenbacherus
07-24-2003, 11:06 PM
Just completed hd install of 2003-07-24 but had to go with the Christian Perle script rather than the new Fabian Franz script I was expecting. What did I miss?

sudo knoppix-installer

Fabianx
07-24-2003, 11:16 PM

You did start knx-hdinstall and not knoppix-installer ...

But I backported some features.

So you should have the Knoppix Menu and also the Icons on Desktop ...

cu

Fabian

Dip
07-25-2003, 10:20 AM
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX-CHANGELOG.txt

* V3.2-2003-07-25
- workaround for erraneouos DNS update script of pppconfig 2.2.0
- dma bootoption now also enables DMA for CD-Roms
- enable Promise controller softwareraid on boot (Kernel 2.4.21)
- added atmel drivers for wireless cards

pau1knopp
07-25-2003, 04:07 PM
Darn!
Just downloaded version 07-04. Guess I'll have to look for 07-05 now! Good thing I didn't burn it to CD. Think I'm going to just start using CDRW for my distros!

Do the updated versions contain GnomeMeeting .98 yet, or are they still at 0.96.1?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

07-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks to those who pointed out that I was using the wrong command to effect Fabian's installer. Must pay more attention in class.

A. Jorge Garcia
07-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Oh well, even with 20030725, I still cannot print colored text from KATE to my HP DeskJet 930C using CUPS....

Regards,

softgun
07-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Please DO use CDRW for Knoppix as it changes so fast! CDRW works well on modern CD-ROMs and you save the envioronment too :)

A. Jorge Garcia
07-26-2003, 09:16 PM
For some reason I've never been able to burn on CD-RW media, much less reburn. I use Memorex media (CD-R data 700MB) in my CD-RW drive (toshiba). Whenever I use CD-RW media (tried several brands) I just get a Linux Coaster!

Can anyone recommend CD-RW media?

TIA,

Fabianx
07-26-2003, 10:13 PM
Please DO use CDRW for Knoppix as it changes so fast! CDRW works well on modern CD-ROMs and you save the envioronment too :)

no, please don't.

Give all your old Knoppix to friends.

If each person just would tell two persons ... :-)

cu

Fabian ;-)

Superstoned
08-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Hi! I'm just trying knoppix-installer, and it seems I have found a bug... after i used the partitioner (wasnt qtparted used in the installer? whatever) i got an "usage for Xdialog" screen. and every time I restart knoppix-installer, after the intitial 'welcome'screen I'm thrown into that usagescreen again. the console says:
Fatal dialog error:
Xdialog: missing list parameters !

and then the usage... :(

another question, I've formatted my partition on which I will install knoppix with reiserFS, but the installer warned me it was going to format it with ext3 (after which I choose 'back' instead of next, choose 'partitioning', and was thrown into the very interesting usage for xdialog-screen)

but how to install on the reiserfs-partition without re-formatting?

grtz

Jos

Fabianx
08-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Hi! I'm just trying knoppix-installer, and it seems I have found a bug... after i used the partitioner (wasnt qtparted used in the installer? whatever) i got an "usage for Xdialog" screen. and every time I restart knoppix-installer, after the intitial 'welcome'screen I'm thrown into that usagescreen again. the console says:
Fatal dialog error:
Xdialog: missing list parameters !

and then the usage... :(

another question, I've formatted my partition on which I will install knoppix with reiserFS, but the installer warned me it was going to format it with ext3 (after which I choose 'back' instead of next, choose 'partitioning', and was thrown into the very interesting usage for xdialog-screen)

but how to install on the reiserfs-partition without re-formatting?

grtz

Jos

I'm sorry for this bug. I'll see where it comes from, when I'm back home. :-( :-(

For the other problem just save the configuration, open it with an text-editor, change "ext3" to "reiserfs" or set HD_FORMAT to "no" ...

Then re-load this configuration with the installers load-function ...

Then you get what you want ...

cu

Fabian

PS: I'm really, really sorry for the above bug. Hope I can fix it before the next release, but atm I have not much time ... :oops: :( :roll:

Tech2k
08-21-2003, 08:26 PM
I know this is not the right place to post but since were talking about the new "knoppix-installer"......... :)

I used it to install the new 7-26 knoppix to hd and like the new stuff and it worked great.I would just like to request that you include the option to say "no" to the services like sshd and mail-server and stuff like the old knx-hdinstall" and more importiantly to be able to say "no" to kdm as this would be usefull on a remaster that didnt include kde.I like to boot my system to textmode after a hd install and start what I want or work in console and was not given this option with the new installer.Mabey I just missed it and it's there?

Anyway we still have the old installer too so it's no biggie....just a thought.

Great work Fabian :)

Fabianx
08-21-2003, 08:42 PM
I know this is not the right place to post but since were talking about the new "knoppix-installer"......... :)

I used it to install the new 7-26 knoppix to hd and like the new stuff and it worked great.I would just like to request that you include the option to say "no" to the services like sshd and mail-server and stuff like the old knx-hdinstall" and more importiantly to be able to say "no" to kdm as this would be usefull on a remaster that didnt include kde.I like to boot my system to textmode after a hd install and start what I want or work in console and was not given this option with the new installer.Mabey I just missed it and it's there?

Anyway we still have the old installer too so it's no biggie....just a thought.

Great work Fabian :)

Its just in the config-file, but seems not to work as expected, yet, as I wanted to make life easier for normal users, who don't know waht this stuff is about, and who remove KDM and then say: "Linux is such a fsck. It doesn't even has a grafical gui after isntallation. ;-)"

But perhaps you are right and all the comments show me, I seem to need to build an "expert"-mode ...

We'll see. If there will ever be time again ;-).

cu

Fabian

Superstoned
08-21-2003, 10:54 PM
heeej, tnx, fabian! I found the ext3/reiserfs out myself, and the bug - well, when you dont use the 'back'button, there is no problem...

grtz