PDA

View Full Version : Can you see your kernel?

Coume
07-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Hello,
there is a place where it is possible to see the configuration of your kernel.
It shows your kernell with green tick, red cross and gear...
But after installing knoppix on my HDD if I try to go their, it says me that I have a bad kernel...

It is normal???

Ludo

aay
07-24-2003, 04:01 PM
Green tick and red crosshair - sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this some sort of monitoring utility or something?

Stephen
07-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Hello,
there is a place where it is possible to see the configuration of your kernel.
It shows your kernell with green tick, red cross and gear...
But after installing knoppix on my HDD if I try to go their, it says me that I have a bad kernel...

It is normal???

Ludo

The KDE kernel configuratior does not seem to work on the install to the HD it looks for the file config.in but IIRC the config file is located in the /boot directory as config-2.4.20-xfs.

joekm
07-24-2003, 07:31 PM
To re-compile the kernel you need the source and I don't think it is included when you do the hard disk install of Knoppix. The kernel config utility would be failing because it cannot find the source code.

Perhaps someone can confirm or correct this?

Joe

Viro
07-24-2003, 11:54 PM
That's correct. The kernel source is not included, only some header files. You'll need to direct your browser to http://www.kernel.org and download the sources for the kernel.

Stephen
07-25-2003, 12:34 AM
That's correct. The kernel source is not included, only some header files. You'll need to direct your browser to http://www.kernel.org and download the sources for the kernel.

Either that or apt-get kernel-source-2.4.?? to get the source from the debian mirrors. replace ?? with the kernel you want.

joekm
07-25-2003, 03:11 AM

Either that or apt-get kernel-source-2.4.?? to get the source from the debian mirrors. replace ?? with the kernel you want.

Will it matter that the Knoppix kernel has XFS support added? or can he just grab the kernel source from Debian and go with that?

oscar
07-25-2003, 04:26 AM
Will it matter that the Knoppix kernel has XFS support added? or can he just grab the kernel source from Debian and go with that?

No, it will not matter.
There is a lot more about this in this forum. Just use Search (top left FAQ| Search| Profile...)

Coume
07-25-2003, 06:52 AM
erm,
i tried to recompile my kernel yesterday...

I downloaded the srouce, then the acpi patch...
For once everything went fine till I done: make xconfig
After that I typed in some line that people said me, are the ones to re-install my new kernell but it doesn't work...
Could someone give me the line to type after the make xconfig one??

thxs
Ludo

Stephen
07-25-2003, 07:28 AM
erm,
i tried to recompile my kernel yesterday...

I downloaded the srouce, then the acpi patch...
For once everything went fine till I done: make xconfig
After that I typed in some line that people said me, are the ones to re-install my new kernell but it doesn't work...
Could someone give me the line to type after the make xconfig one??

thxs
Ludo

Here's a page (http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html) you may find useful it should give you all the information you need.

Coume
07-25-2003, 08:29 AM
Thxs,

I'll try to use that and to have it working!

Ludo

joekm
07-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Thxs,

I'll try to use that and to have it working!

Ludo

I'm getting back into this (Linux) after being away from it for a few years which is why my memory is a tad spotty. A few years back, I once walked someone through a kernel config over IRC. Anyway, one thing I do recall is that you should make sure you keep your old kernel available and set it up as a boot option on LILO or GRUB or whatever you are using. This way, should something go wrong, you can still get into your system.

I'm sure there is more on this in this forum. Otherwise, Google for a Kernel HOWTO or look for it on the Linux Documentation Project (LDP) website.

Once you've gotten a backup kernel working, you can then work on customizing your new kernel without having to worry about hosing your system.

Good luck,

Joe

Coume
07-25-2003, 01:31 PM
yep that's the same for me :)
Me, my spots and my 386! lol Red hat 4.2 I think

I wante dto come to linux for a long time, but was not able due to TV-card etc...
But now, on my laptop, I definetely want it. It will take time to get used to it but once I'll master it, I do not leave it!

And regarding the kernel, i already screwed up once... But thanks to the boot disk, I manage to get things working again!

cheers,
ludo

edited for profanity, please choose the words more carefully.

Stephen