PDA

View Full Version : KnoppiXMAME

drfreak
01-15-2003, 02:23 AM
Hello fellow Knoppix lovers!

I have made my own mini-Knoppix distribution. The goal should be obvious, based on the name :)

KnoppiXMAME removes nearly all add-on software from Knoppix and boots into the memory-minimal fluxbox window manager with the wonderful gxmame frontend to X-MAME as the first thing your eyes see after boot and autoconfiguration.

The CD weighs in at 266MB and includes a kernel optimized for interactive performance and networking disabled for stress-free (nobody can remotely hack a box with no networking!) classic gaming.

I wanted not only to announce the immediate availability of KnoppiXMAME, but to see if my modifications may be of use to other projects. Of most interest to me was some mention of using Knoppix as a direct-to-disk recording DAW. If anyone already has created a project for this and would like another member, please contact me. Anyone who wants to start up a DAW project who hasn't already, please contact me. :)

Oh yeah, you can get KnoppiXMAME at ibiblio.org in /pub/linux/system/emulators. Version 0.5 should be hitting the mirrors in the next couple of days with the newest X-MAME 0.62.2 included and *all* renderers: x11, xgl, ggi, SDL, and svgalib.

stonent
01-15-2003, 05:25 AM
I downloaded it over a week ago. Has it been updated, or should I keep what I have?

drfreak
01-15-2003, 08:58 AM
I downloaded it over a week ago. Has it been updated, or should I keep what I have?

I finished my latest release image earlier today, but uploading it takes about three hours for me and it failed the first time. I'm going to crash out now because it's midnight here, so I am hopeful the files will be on ibiblio by morning. They generally sit in the public incoming folder for a while before getting moved over to /pub/linux/system/emulators, so give the incoming folder a peek if you don't see V0.5 yet.There is also a project page on freshmeat for it which I will update as soon as ibiblio has the iso.

dabone
01-15-2003, 10:36 PM
add roms to the main cd?

Later,
dabone

drfreak
01-16-2003, 05:23 AM
add roms to the main cd?

Later,
dabone

Follow the Knoppix-ReimasteringHOWTO on this site. Put all your roms in /mame/roms and samples in /mame/samples. the folders are already on the CD, they are just empty.

Alternatively if you have a second CD-ROM, just put your roms on that when you boot knoppixmame and go to 'File' in gxmame and pick 'Audit All Games' to have your own roms show up in the frontend.

stonent
01-16-2003, 06:24 AM
I like the idea behind KnoppixMame, but I think you were a bit hasty in assuming that people wouldn't want network access on it.

Personally, I'd like to make a net-boot arcade cabinet ;)

drfreak
01-16-2003, 10:54 PM
I like the idea behind KnoppixMame, but I think you were a bit hasty in assuming that people wouldn't want network access on it.

Personally, I'd like to make a net-boot arcade cabinet ;)

That is certainly possible. You can use the original Knoppix kernel in /KNOPPIX/boot.img on the CD. I am also going to be including different kernels as boot parameter options for KnoppiXMAME in furure versions. One with networking is certainly doable.

Rixel
01-17-2003, 02:23 AM
FYI

I would also like to point out that, legally, roms can only be used if you also own the machine they are from. This would make a distro with rom images included most likely quite illegal.

lrf
01-18-2003, 10:10 PM
:cry:
It's a couple of days I am trying to download from official site but it turned out to be impossible to access.
Today I started browsing mirror sites and finally found KnoppiXMAME on a Swiss ftp but:
- size of file is 211MB
- after download gunzip step halts with a message of "unexpected end of file".

Do you have any suggestion or an alternative address where to pick it up?

TIA

drfreak
01-19-2003, 03:10 AM
It's a couple of days I am trying to download from official site but it turned out to be impossible to access.
Today I started browsing mirror sites and finally found KnoppiXMAME on a Swiss ftp but:
- size of file is 211MB

TIA

Here is the location all new versions wind up in:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators
or
http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators

You may not be downloading the official KnoppiXMAME. The release version is a standard .iso and not gzipped. There is also a .md5 file to check it with in the directory on ibiblio.

lrf
01-19-2003, 12:18 PM
- size of file is 211MB

TIA

Here is the location all new versions wind up in:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators
or
http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators
You may not be downloading the official KnoppiXMAME. The release version is a standard .iso and not gzipped. There is also a .md5 file to check it with in the directory on ibiblio.

Thanks for the .gz extension warning.

These are the locations you mentioned in a previous message and they seem unreachable..[just tested again].

bhsx
01-20-2003, 10:27 PM
I've been looking for where to change knoppix's default WM... how did you get it to boot to fluxbox as default?
I've been looking through all sorts of files for the answer, I'm assuming wherever you put it, the line looks something like
exec /usr/bin/fluxbox && gxmame
but where?
Thanks.

stonent
01-23-2003, 04:04 AM
How about some way of dumping an arcade compatable video mode out of the video card?

Why do I ask?

http://stonent.pointclark.net

Rixel
01-23-2003, 04:27 AM
Probably the easiest way to have fluxbox be the default is to boot from floppy and change the syslinux.cfg and add the boot arg to use fluxbox to the default append statement. That should work.

Rixel

drfreak
01-25-2003, 08:50 AM
How about some way of dumping an arcade compatable video mode out of the video card?

Why do I ask?

I do want to add arcade compatible video and need testers because I don't have any working arcade machines to test on. If you send me an email, I will work with you to get it added.

drfreak
01-25-2003, 08:50 AM

Why do I ask?

I do want to add arcade compatible video and need testers because I don't have any working arcade machines to test on. If you send me an email, I will work with you to get it added.

OmahaVike
10-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Thank you drfreak for putting this together.

Anyone ever see this?

I'm getting a "/usr/bin/xmame is not a valid executable" error after X starts up. gxmame fires up just fine, but i still get that error when trying to launch any rom. i'm using the ISO build from Jun20, from ibiblio.org. i double checked, and the file does indeed exist under /usr/bin. has anyone seen this issue before? I've searched all around for an answer, but no dice.

thanks in advance to everyone for any and all help

devlynd
11-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Thank you drfreak for putting this together.

Anyone ever see this?

I'm getting a "/usr/bin/xmame is not a valid executable" error after X starts up. gxmame fires up just fine, but i still get that error when trying to launch any rom. i'm using the ISO build from Jun20, from ibiblio.org. i double checked, and the file does indeed exist under /usr/bin. has anyone seen this issue before? I've searched all around for an answer, but no dice.

thanks in advance to everyone for any and all help

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same problem...

Thanks!

urpk
12-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Hello there

We have similar kind of project ... we have to minimize KNOPPIX as much as we can just leaving behinde the open office , kde support , print support , email client and internet support ... can u provide us the list of packages u removed from knoppix inorder to get that distribution of urs ??? we r unable to find safe list ... each time we delete some package smthing goes wrong ... either we r unable to make filesystem or we delete some file that is required by kde.init ...

please help us in this regard ... thank u

drfreak
12-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Hello there

We have similar kind of project ... we have to minimize KNOPPIX as much as we can just leaving behinde the open office , kde support , print support , email client and internet support ... can u provide us the list of packages u removed from knoppix inorder to get that distribution of urs ??? we r unable to find safe list ... each time we delete some package smthing goes wrong ... either we r unable to make filesystem or we delete some file that is required by kde.init ...

please help us in this regard ... thank u

Hi. I don't really have such a list. Minimizing the packages is a black art. heh. I can give you a rule of thumb on my method:

I put only the sources for sid, mplayer (marillat.free.fr) and the debian experimental packages in sources.list. I then did a full dist-upgrade, but chose "N" to all debconf questions asking to replace any config files. I then went into dselect and removed everything I could think of except of course X and anything which had "knoppix" in the name. Using dselect is helpful because it will warn you if a knoppix package might possibly get replaced by a debian package. It's been an incremental process deciding what to axe, but I'm down to about 150MB now since I removed XFree 4.3 and most internationalization stuff I could find.

Bernd Blaauw
12-30-2003, 08:21 PM
is this "Xmame not an executable" problem solved by now???

chmod ??????????? xmame (yea..on a read-only medium..)

if there's a Ramdisk created, is it a solution to copy the xmame program to the ramdisk, then use CHMOD with whatever properties needed to set it correct?

ironstorm
01-03-2004, 11:39 PM
drfreak,

What did commmandline did you use with mksqaushfs to get things going when you remastered?

-GED

drfreak
01-27-2004, 10:02 AM
is this "Xmame not an executable" problem solved by now???

chmod ??????????? xmame (yea..on a read-only medium..)

if there's a Ramdisk created, is it a solution to copy the xmame program to the ramdisk, then use CHMOD with whatever properties needed to set it correct?

What makes you think a program binary needs to be writable? :)

That error really means something else is going on. Usally GXMame spits that error out when a card unsupported by XFree86 is running in vesa mode.

jediroadkill
02-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi, I was wondering what happened to the ISO. it is only 2.91mb in the directory you specified and not open able. In the distributions section under knoppixMAME there is that size one and another that is 144mb. Does anybody know what is going on or where I can get a good copy?

Bernd Blaauw
02-05-2004, 09:03 PM
I was thinking about CHMOD +x to make it executable.

you may be right, VMware only supports VESA. Why would that be a problem?

m-stitts
02-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Hi,
was wondering if its possible to force say an 800x600 video mode @60hz
refresh for both xmame and window manager?

I've been having problems with a hand full of video-card/monitor
combinations (seems to pick a mode based on the video-card, not monitors capeabilities?). Might be nice to have a safe mode kinda
option (or i missed it if there is allready).