PDA

View Full Version : strange harddisk aktivity every 3 seconds under KDE

peip
07-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi there !

When running KDE on Knoppix 3.2 there's every three seconds a short harddisk aktivity.
Is it a bug ? How could I stop it ?

Can anybody help ? Thanks !

aay
07-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Are you running from the CD. How much memory does your computer have? Maybe this is just knoppix accessing swap space on your hd.

Stephen
07-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Hi there !

When running KDE on Knoppix 3.2 there's every three seconds a short harddisk aktivity.

Also in addition to aay suggestion if you are using a journaled file system etx3, reiser, etc.. that could be the commit write to the drive happening to keep the journal in sync this would of course be on a HD install.

peip
07-25-2003, 07:48 AM
Are you running from the CD. How much memory does your computer have? Maybe this is just knoppix accessing swap space on your hd.

Thanks for your reply.
It's a HD-installation. I think it's a problem of KDE, because when running another environment, like Windowmaker for example, the system behaves 'normally'.

peip
07-25-2003, 07:51 AM
Hi there !

Also in addition to aay suggestion if you are using a journaled file system etx3, reiser, etc.. that could be the commit write to the drive happening to keep the journal in sync this would of course be on a HD install.

Thanks for your reply.
A Reiser File System is used but I think it's a problem of KDE, because when running another environment, like Windowmaker for example, the system behaves 'normally'.

Stephen
07-25-2003, 08:56 AM
A Reiser File System is used but I think it's a problem of KDE, because when running another environment, like Windowmaker for example, the system behaves 'normally'.

Well then as aay said how much memory do you have KDE is a memory hog if it is using the swap partition a lot it has to access the HD. To check how much of the swap memory is being used open a console window and enter top it gives you a running total open and close a few apps and see if the "problem" persists.

peip
07-25-2003, 10:31 AM

Well then as aay said how much memory do you have KDE is a memory hog if it is using the swap partition a lot it has to access the HD. To check how much of the swap memory is being used open a console window and enter top it gives you a running total open and close a few apps and see if the "problem" persists.

Hi Stephen, thank you for your immediate replies. The problem has been solved. I installed knoppix again and it works. Perhaps this behaviour could be traced back to the webmin or opengroupware.org installation.

Stephen
07-25-2003, 06:57 PM
Hi Stephen, thank you for your immediate replies. The problem has been solved. I installed knoppix again and it works. Perhaps this behaviour could be traced back to the webmin or opengroupware.org installation.

Well if it started happening after installing one of the programs then I would say yes the only way to check would be to install them again and see if it happens one more time and I would say it is most probably the open groupware I have used the webmin before and never seen any problems with it never tried the groupware so don't know about that.