PDA

View Full Version : which wireless network cards are automaticly recognized by K

Berdt
07-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Which wireless network cards are automaticly recognized by Knoppix?

What do you guys recommend? I am currently using a sitecom wl-011 in my laptop with no luck. I am sure i could install it if I install Knoppix on my harddisk but my primair OS is still Windows ...

aay
07-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Orinoco Gold. It has always worked flawlessly. One of the best supported linux wireless cards I am told.

kaplanfx
07-24-2003, 09:36 PM
I use a linksys wmp11 pci, it works great, autodetects + dhcp works fine. I believe it is identical to the pcmcia version, just piggybacked on a pci card so the pcmcia card should work too. Its based on a Prism2 card so I would think any card with that chipset would work the same, but I can't say for sure.

JockVSJock
07-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Orinoco Gold. It has always worked flawlessly. One of the best supported linux wireless cards I am told.

Really? I just picked up Orinoco Gold B/G card and I can't get it to work.

Can anyone help me out here?

thanks

aay
07-29-2003, 03:01 AM

Really? I just picked up Orinoco Gold B/G card and I can't get it to work.

Can anyone help me out here?

thanks

Mine is a B card only: the older one that allows you to attach an antenna. There is no support in Linux for G. From what I understand Broadcom, the chipmaker, won't support linux themselves or release the specs for linux hackers to write their own drivers. It's a real shame. Perhaps this B/G card uses the new chip with backward support for B. I suspect that would explain why you can't get anything out of it. The B only cards should work fine though.