PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix-install from Fabian Franz

raid517
07-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Hi, what is Knoppix-install from Fabian Franz? I've been reading about the new knoppix cd on distrowatch. I wonder, is this finally the capacity to install Knoppix while saving all your setiings and keeping all the excellent hardware detection of the CD?

Because if it is it will be amazing. :)

So what's the word?

Q

aay
07-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Well it is a new installer that's for sure. I'm not sure of all the new features. Best way to find out is to give it a try. I plan to when I get a chance. The new release went up last night you can download it and give it a try.

Stephen
07-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi, what is Knoppix-install from Fabian Franz? I've been reading about the new knoppix cd on distrowatch. I wonder, is this finally the capacity to install Knoppix while saving all your setiings and keeping all the excellent hardware detection of the CD?

Because if it is it will be amazing. :)

So what's the word?

Q

It gives you your own user on install and if you use the extra features it will seperate out the install into a real /, /home,/usr all kinds of extra stuff like that.

aay
07-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Stephen,

Is qtparted automatically invoked to help with partitioning?

Stephen
07-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Stephen,

Is qtparted automatically invoked to help with partitioning?

No you just use cfdisk as usual actually I had already made the partitions before hand before testing the installer with an old version a few weeks ago and I just quit the cfdisk when doing the install but it was the same old procedure for that anyway.

vynx
07-24-2003, 05:30 PM
i need to download source of knoppix-install from fabian...not all of knoppix .iso...

can some one give me URL?

raid517
07-24-2003, 06:36 PM
So no ability to save your settings? And you still loose all of the cool harware detection as before? Sigh, well I guess I will only ever be able to use Knoppix as a demo cd - and not for anything very useful.

BTW is there an iso I can download where the default language is English? Its a pain in the butt having to select your language on boot. I can understand the developers not doing it for all the languages, but surely it is at least applicable for the most widely used language in the world? I mean c'mon... German... who in ther right mind speaks that, appart from maybe a few Germans. :)

Q

baldyeti
07-24-2003, 07:42 PM
BTW is there an iso I can download where the default language is English?
All mirrors should carry ISO's which default to American instead of German.
Just pick the -EN version rather than the -DE one.

I mean c'mon... German... who in ther right mind speaks that, appart from maybe a few Germans.
Well Klaus Knopper and Fabian Frantz, and lots of fine KDE contributors, I hear.
Now put your other foot in your mouth.

Stephen
07-24-2003, 09:32 PM
i need to download source of knoppix-install from fabian...not all of knoppix .iso...

can some one give me URL?
Try here (http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources/) you would want the June 20th file version .39.

rickenbacherus
07-25-2003, 02:49 AM
So no ability to save your settings? And you still loose all of the cool harware detection as before? Sigh, well I guess I will only ever be able to use Knoppix as a demo cd - and not for anything very useful.

What ever do you mean? You can save your settings when you boot the cd- you've always been able to do that. If you're referring to a hdd install then your settings are saved there too (of course). What do you need hardware detection for if you've installed it? If you change hardware it's easy enough to set up. As far as "not anything useful" I think you must be missing something here my friend- Knoppix is the easiest distro to install there is. I takes all of 20 minutes! It's extremely useful. Perhaps you could elaborate on your comments?

Look for an .iso with EN in the name.

aay- yes qtparted is part of the install script if you do sudo knoppix-installer

aay
07-25-2003, 04:25 AM
aay- yes qtparted is part of the install script if you do sudo knoppix-installer

cool.

jbsloop
07-26-2003, 01:42 AM
Getting back to the thread topic, what are the differences between a KNX-HDinstall, and the newer knoppix-installer??

Stephen
07-26-2003, 02:15 AM
Getting back to the thread topic, what are the differences between a KNX-HDinstall, and the newer knoppix-installer??

A quaint idea staying on topic. New features:

1. Your own user on install.
2. The ability using the .knofig file to have your own /home and other partitions during install.
3. Also using the .knofig file choosing the services started at boot on the new system.
4. QTParted used during the install if needed.
5. The ability to save the configuration of your install for later use.

Not sure about the rest it's been a couple of weeks since I last used it and have not had the time to play more with it perhaps someone else has more to add.

raid517
07-26-2003, 11:06 AM

What ever do you mean? You can save your settings when you boot the cd- you've always been able to do that. If you're referring to a hdd install then your settings are saved there too (of course). What do you need hardware detection for if you've installed it? If you change hardware it's easy enough to set up. As far as "not anything useful" I think you must be missing something here my friend- Knoppix is the easiest distro to install there is. I takes all of 20 minutes! It's extremely useful. Perhaps you could elaborate on your comments?

Look for an .iso with EN in the name.

Well the last time I did a harddisk install I lost all of my settings, all of my preferences and almost all of the most important hadware detection I had on the CD. It reverted to what looked like a very raw debian type OS.

And since we are in the harddisk install section, yes I am referring to harddisk install. Installing is as you say 'easy', its just that if I spend time configuring my Knoppix Home directory and getting everything else looking and feeling the way I like it, when I do the install it would be nice to have this entire configuration remembered.

You appear to doubt that Knoppix looses anything from the CD when you do a harddisk install... Well, all I can say is that is not my experience at all. Is there an option in the install process for example to 'save current settings'? Because if so I'm missing it. Also a lot of the drivers that are automatically loaded from the Knoppix CD are not loaded during boot after a HDD install.

Call me crazy if you want, but that has been my experience.

Now if this has changed since 3.1 then that is another story. (Since that is the last time I tried a HDD install). No one mentioned that the ability to save all one's setting and all the excellent automatic hardware detection of the CD had been included in the latest versions. I would be very pleased if someone could confirm it has.

Q

bongski55
07-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Well the last time I did a harddisk install I lost all of my settings, all of my preferences and almost all of the most important hadware detection I had on the CD. It reverted to what looked like a very raw debian type OS.

And since we are in the harddisk install section, yes I am referring to harddisk install. Installing is as you say 'easy', its just that if I spend time configuring my Knoppix Home directory and getting everything else looking and feeling the way I like it, when I do the install it would be nice to have this entire configuration remembered.

You appear to doubt that Knoppix looses anything from the CD when you do a harddisk install... Well, all I can say is that is not my experience at all. Is there an option in the install process for example to 'save current settings'? Because if so I'm missing it. Also a lot of the drivers that are automatically loaded from the Knoppix CD are not loaded during boot after a HDD install.

Call me crazy if you want, but that has been my experience.

Now if this has changed since 3.1 then that is another story. (Since that is the last time I tried a HDD install). No one mentioned that the ability to save all one's setting and all the excellent automatic hardware detection of the CD had been included in the latest versions. I would be very pleased if someone could confirm it has.

Q

If the last time you did a hard disk install was 3.1then you indeed had missed a lot. It would be a very long post to outline all changes since 3.1.

I would not discuss about this VERY RAW DEBIAN you are talking about. I installed the latest version and it reaqched almost 2 gigs -now if that is RAW then how big is the real Debian!

Anyway go ahead and try the latest knoppix and then come back here for comments. It is a bit too late to discuss 3.1 version here

raid517
07-26-2003, 06:27 PM
Well I don't think that's entirely fair. If you will recall my original question was about this version of Knoppix. Moreover I enquirde if it was now possible in this version of Knoppix to save all your preferences and settings so that they remain identical to the way you configured them on the CD when you perform a harddrive install.

So far no one has answered that question - well not directly anyway, and even indirectly it has only been partly answered. But if you 'refuse to discus it' (even though I find that attitude deeply confusing), there's not much I can do about it. (BTW I always read the chagelogs).

It isn't possible for me to 'just to try it' and then find out, since I am on a modem and downloading such a big ISO represents a considerable comitment in terms of tying up my computer's limited bandwidth. I wanted to know if it worked first before making such a commitment.

Q[/b]

aay
07-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Have you considered the possibliity that others don't know the answer to your question and that this is the reason they aren't answering you rather than a desire to be rude to you or "refusing to discuss it"? Perhaps this issue isn't such a big concern to others as it is to you. Frankly, I don't have much of an interest in this feature. If I knew the answer, I would certainly tell you though.

raid517
07-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Yes I have, but the guy above seemed particularly keen to draw a line under the question. I thought it was a reasonable thing to ask, and this being the Knoppix HDD install section of a Knoppix based forum, I thought it would be a good idea to ask about the HDD install process here..

Maybe it wasn't. Nonetheless I don't think anyone is trying to be rude here (although I did get the impression some individuals thought my question was dumb) Perhaps people simply didn't understand the question initially? That's fine. But confusing my question with a question about an old out of date Knoppix version possibly isn't all that helpful.... That's all I'm saying.

Indeed the topic of this thread asks 'What is Knoppix-install from Fabian Franz?' and then I go on to try to discuss it. So I think (I would hope) its faiirly clear to most folks which version of the installer and which version of Knoppix I'm refering to, given that Knoppix-install from Fabian Franz is only available on the latest CD.

If all of these assumptions were erroneously made on my part, then I sincerely appologise. Perhaps I should try harder to make it more obvious what I'm referring to in future.

As I say though, until I can glean some more info on the actual install process and the resulting installed OS, just downloading the ISO is not entirely practical.

In any case thank you for your input.

Q

bongski55
07-27-2003, 07:49 AM
Hello,
I am very sorry if my reply came to as "rude". FYI English is not my native language and this is the way English composition was taught to us.

Anyway for your question about saving your settings,this is what I suggest:(this is how I do it)

Under 'docs' there is a section where you can transfer your /home directory to another partition. This way you are able to sort of save your settings(assuming you have your settings under home).

When you do another reinstall at least your present home directory is saved.

Thanks and Again,sorry.

Dick W.
07-27-2003, 04:15 PM

A quaint idea staying on topic. New features:

1. Your own user on install.
2. The ability using the .knofig file to have your own /home and other partitions during install.
3. Also using the .knofig file choosing the services started at boot on the new system.
4. QTParted used during the install if needed.
5. The ability to save the configuration of your install for later use.

Not sure about the rest it's been a couple of weeks since I last used it and have not had the time to play more with it perhaps someone else has more to add.

From a nervous newbie: if I invoke the knoppix-installer can I elect to have Knoppix installed on a partition which I had previously created or will the script insist on creating its own partition(s)? i.e., do I get a choice? I would to preserve my present partition allocation.
I had a problem in this regard with another distribution.

Stephen
07-27-2003, 07:01 PM
From a nervous newbie: if I invoke the knoppix-installer can I elect to have Knoppix installed on a partition which I had previously created or will the script insist on creating its own partition(s)? i.e., do I get a choice? I would to preserve my present partition allocation.

Knoppix will install to the partitions you choose for /swap and / no problems at all. When you get to point of cfdisk being launched to partition the drive just quit the program and continue with the install and select your previously created partitions. note: the partitions you install on will be formatted so make sure you are choosing the right ones.

Dick W.
07-27-2003, 07:19 PM

Knoppix will install to the partitions you choose for /swap and / no problems at all. When you get to point of cfdisk being launched to partition the drive just quit the program and continue with the install and select your previously created partitions. note: the partitions you install on will be formatted so make sure you are choosing the right ones.
Thanks Stephen. I'll give it a go.

fitsnips
07-29-2003, 01:51 AM
[quote=raid517]BTW is there an iso I can download where the default language is English?
All mirrors should carry ISO's which default to American instead of German.
Just pick the -EN version rather than the -DE one.

What the is default to American? Man our schools really do suck.

Joshua

Edited for profanity please choose your words more carefully.

Stephen

Incubii
07-30-2003, 04:25 AM
bum, and just when i finished modifying knx-hdinstall to support /boot partition. damn u fabian *shakes fist* :P. guess i will download n look at it, maybe i can enhance this one too :D

i havent looked at the script yet but there should be an option to allow everyone to mount the cdrom and floppy. At least in 3-3-2003 hdinstall, u cannot. so maybe have an option like "do you want everyone to be able to mount cdrom and floppy?" and then u only need to add umask=000 and its done :). I like that idea

A. Jorge Garcia
08-26-2003, 06:24 PM
OK, I just tried knoppix-installer from a root Konsole. I got to the point of partitioning hda2 as type linux and hda3 as type linux swap. I wrote the partition table and quit cfdisk. Then I had no other option but to quit knoppix-installer. What's wrong here?

TIA,

A. Jorge Garcia
08-29-2003, 04:55 AM
Am I the only one who can't get knoppix-installer to finish installing anything???

TIA,

A. Jorge Garcia
08-30-2003, 05:31 PM
OK, well if the only benefit of knoppix-installer over knx-hdinstall is that it invokes qtparted instead of or in addition to cfdisk, I'll just use qtparted and/or cfdisk before knxhdinstall and install that way....

Regards,

Edwin
08-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Am I the only one who can't get knoppix-installer to finish installing anything???

I used it yesterday. I already had my partitions so I skipped that. I choose the first option from the menu 'create new configuration'. It asked some questions and did it's thing and reported it was finished. I then quited and opened the /ramdisk/home/knoppix/.knofig file as root. There are all the install options, well commented. I edited them to suit my needs and saved. Then I started knoppix-installer again. This time I choose the (I think) the third option: 'install from existing configuration' or something. And away it went.

My only disappointement was when I tried to surf the net while installing. It was just to slow :-(. But that it _is_ possible to surf while installing an OS made me smile :-)

And oh I had to run netcardconfig when finished, the other installer did that for me. And something is wrong with the fonts in GTk apps, but with the search on this forum I could fix that (and it is not something I can blame the installer for).

All in all, great piece of work Fabian!

A. Jorge Garcia
08-30-2003, 08:08 PM
I only get 2 options: cfdisk or quit. How do I get more menu options? Am I doing something wrong?

Anyway, this is all moot as I used knx-hdinstall already and everything works fine. Last time I used knx-hdinstall (a long time ago in V3.1), I don't think much of my hardware was left configured. This time everything worked "right out of the box!" All I had to do was configure my printer with http://localhost:631.

Regards,

Edwin
08-30-2003, 08:49 PM
I only get 2 options: cfdisk or quit. How do I get more menu options? Am I doing something wrong?

Hmm, are we talking about the same CD? Or are those whales in a funny mood again ;-)

But seriously, I used the 20030726-EN iso. After booting from the CD I typed 'sudo knoppix-installer'. After a warning about this being experimental software I got a menu with 6 (six) options:

1.Configure installation
2.Start installation
3.Partition
4.Load Config
5.Save Config
6.Quit

I just repeated the procedure to copy the menu verbatim.

I wonder what's happening here...

Regards,

- - Edwin

A. Jorge Garcia
08-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Well the whales ate all other choices but:
3.)partition
6.)quit
except they're numbered 1 and 2.....

Deja vu all over again!

Arrggghhhh,

Stephen
08-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Well the whales ate all other choices but:
3.)partition
6.)quit
except they're numbered 1 and 2.....

Deja vu all over again!

Arrggghhhh,

At least the printer is working. :wink: Perhaps you should file a bug on the package Fabian may be able to do something with the script definitely strange though I used it a few times testing it and never seen this.

A. Jorge Garcia
08-31-2003, 02:25 AM
I don't know, it must be me. I've only been using KNOPPIX since V2.2 so you'd think I wouldn't be having all these problems lately!

Anyway, I'm afraid to post a bug. I may get a great response like last time....

OK, so I go boot the CD, start a root shell and invoke knoppix-installer. The first GUI screen I get is the Initialization Screen with info on the authors and a warning about knowing what you're doing.

Now the next screen works fine!!! I take it all back. I don't know why the 3 other times I tried it, knoppix-installer only had those 2 options after the init screen.

Well, now I don't need it as I did knx-hdinstall. I guess I can play with it at school when I install my 25 new PCs....

Regards,

Stephen
08-31-2003, 03:10 AM
OK, so I go boot the CD, start a root shell and invoke knoppix-installer. The first GUI screen I get is the Initialization Screen with info on the authors and a warning about knowing what you're doing.

Now the next screen works fine!!! I take it all back. I don't know why the 3 other times I tried it, knoppix-installer only had those 2 options after the init screen.

On the first three the HD was not already partitioned for linux right? I never went through that I already had the partitions there, that's about the only difference I can see where the problem would be.

A. Jorge Garcia
08-31-2003, 04:23 AM
No, the partitions were there.

My kids managed to fry hda1 with the blaster worm. So I had already used the KNOPPIX CD with cfdisk to delete hda1 (20GB WINME) and create 3 new partitions: hda1 (10GB VFAT32), hda2 (9.5GB linux) and hda3 (0.5GB linux swap). Then I instaled WINXP on hda1 (for the wife and kidsdon't ya know) and knx-hdinstalled hda2/hda3. No need for qtparted....

Oh, here's another curiousity. After I installed everything as per above, when I boot the CD, it only lists hda1 and hda2 on the desktop. After creating the 3 partitions with cfdisk, but before using knx-hdinstall, all 3 partitions were listed on the desktop when I booted the CD. What does this mean?

Regards,

Stephen
08-31-2003, 05:24 AM
No, the partitions were there.
Oh, here's another curiousity. After I installed everything as per above, when I boot the CD, it only lists hda1 and hda2 on the desktop. After creating the 3 partitions with cfdisk, but before using knx-hdinstall, all 3 partitions were listed on the desktop when I booted the CD. What does this mean?

Regards,

Damn strange indeed, the three partitions showing up would be correct as you have to initialize the /swap partition once you installed then it was a true /swap that was initialized and would not show up. BTW when you partitioned you could have made 4 partitions (windows, /, /swap and one for /home) so you could have a proper /home partition in case you ever want to re-install, as so many people seem to do when a new version comes out, it would save you time and effort getting everything back the way it you want it. If you go this route you should save the files you change in /etc somewhere in the /home then it's just a matter of new install of knoppix point to the correct /home partition by restoring the /etc/fstab and the other files from the saved /etc while the CD is still booted then when you re-boot after install voila there is the system as you left it with a new knoppix.

A. Jorge Garcia
08-31-2003, 06:24 PM
Oh, so once the swap partition is initialized, it doesn't show up as a separate partition anymore? OK, I didn't know that.

The separate root and home partition idea is a good one. However, I'm used to backing up all my important data to a CD anytime I play around with reinstalling OSes. So I'm OK as is.

Regards,