PDA

View Full Version : How Do I make a Boot Floppy from HD install?

bongski55
07-25-2003, 08:47 AM
I damaged my boot floppy-the one made during knoppix install. How do I make another one? Tried to search this site but there is no straightforward way.

I just keep a boot floppy in case of emergency -I use grub loader and I can also use the cd to boot.

baldyeti
07-25-2003, 10:37 AM
You can either:

* from a windows system: run the mkfloppy.bat script from the KNOPPIX directory on the CD

* from linux (either live CD or HD-based), locate the boot.img file on the same KNOPPIX directory on the CD,
then type "dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=80k" (with a formatted floppy in your drive)

bongski55
07-25-2003, 06:05 PM
You can either:

* from a windows system: run the mkfloppy.bat script from the KNOPPIX directory on the CD

* from linux (either live CD or HD-based), locate the boot.img file on the same KNOPPIX directory on the CD,
then type "dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=80k" (with a formatted floppy in your drive)

I believe this only works on live cd or a hard disk based and NOT IN HD INSTALL. This boot floppy searches for the compressed knoppix file which does not exist in a hard disk install. Ihave a compressed knoppix file in my windows partition so everytime I use the floppy it will boot to this file and not on my linux-knoppix partition.

I do not have this boot.img file(or am I missinmg something here?

baldyeti
07-25-2003, 10:27 PM
I do not have this boot.img file(or am I missinmg something here?
It's in the /KNOPPIX directory of the CD.
If you want to do this from an hd-booted system,
you first need to mount the cdrom.

bongski55
07-26-2003, 05:19 AM
It's in the /KNOPPIX directory of the CD.
If you want to do this from an hd-booted system,
you first need to mount the cdrom.

As I have stated I HAVE a floppy based on the Live cd and if I use it to boot it detects my hard disk based Knoppix compressed file and not my hard disk INSTALLED knoppix.
Also I stated that I can boot from the CD but I want to have an emergency boot floppy to boot the hard disk INSTALLATION not the hard disk BASED.

May I remind you that this forum is for the HARD DISK INSTALL?

Thanks for your reply anyway!

baldyeti
07-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Sorry; I had misunderstood you indeed.

According to this other thread
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3630
mkboot might be the command you're after.