PDA

View Full Version : Cant access drives

LukeGraham
07-25-2003, 09:40 AM
When i start knoppix (just when it runs straight from cd and not installed on the hd) I CAN access my cd rom directory, hda1 directory (windows) and floppy. When i installed it to the hard drive i cant access them anymore (or dont know where to find them?)

Edwin
07-25-2003, 04:43 PM
You have to edit /etc/fstab. Open this file, as root, in a text-editor. Uncomment the devices you want to mount: that is remove the first "#" on the line listing the device. Save and reboot. Right-click on the desktop, select 'create new' and then whatever you want to mount. In the dialog, under the tab 'device' select the drive.

- - Edwin

Stephen
07-25-2003, 07:14 PM
You have to edit /etc/fstab. Open this file, as root, in a text-editor. Uncomment the devices you want to mount: that is remove the first "#" on the line listing the device. Save and reboot. Right-click on the desktop, select 'create new' and then whatever you want to mount. In the dialog, under the tab 'device' select the drive.

- - Edwin

In addition, the re-boot is not necessary once you uncomment the partition(s) in the fstab.

bongski55
07-26-2003, 05:37 AM
As root do 'rebuildfstab' (without qoutes).

then as user 'mkdesktophdicons'.

This will make your desktop icons look the same as a CD based.

aay
07-26-2003, 06:49 AM
As I just stated in another post, the new installer fixes this problem. With the new installer, the drives that are displayed on the desktop when you boot from the CD, will also be displayed on the desktop of the HD after an install.