PDA

View Full Version : Boot problems

sonic20
07-26-2003, 03:46 AM
I had tried Knoppix loaded from disk 3 times with out any problems on my W98 box and I liked it. I wanted to do a hard install on its own drive 2.95 and maintain W98 on another to do dual boot. I decided to erase everything on the extra drive, but could not get rid of the trash basket from W98.

I was going to follow pnti's instructions, but now I cannot load the os from disk. After the Welcome to Knoppix 3.2 screen displays, the program begins to auto load but stops after about 10 lines after the lines :
USB found, managed by hotplug
enabling hotplug manager
autoconfiguring device (followed by green bar) h

Then the cursor stops at the beginning of next line and just blinks.

I appreciate any ideas, (BTW I am really new to linux). Thanks

sonic20
07-26-2003, 04:34 AM
javascript:emoticon (':oops:')Sorry for my previous post, I went back to the Knoppix 3.2 screen and selected "failsafe" as a boot, this eliminated any problems with the hangup of the install; however it presents other challenges to be overcome by my lack of knowlege.

Sorry for previous post.

rickenbacherus
07-26-2003, 04:58 AM
As you can see I split your posts from their previous location. It is advisable to create your own topic in a forum so that it has better visibility.

I had tried Knoppix loaded from disk 3 times with out any problems on my W98 box and I liked it. I wanted to do a hard install on its own drive 2.95 and maintain W98 on another to do dual boot. I decided to erase everything on the extra drive, but could not get rid of the trash basket from W98.

I was going to follow pnti's instructions, but now I cannot load the os from disk. After the Welcome to Knoppix 3.2 screen displays, the program begins to auto load but stops after about 10 lines after the lines :
USB found, managed by hotplug
enabling hotplug manager
autoconfiguring device (followed by green bar) h

Then the cursor stops at the beginning of next line and just blinks.

I appreciate any ideas, (BTW I am really new to linux). Thanks

I am unsure of how you are trying to boot knoppix, whether from cdrom or booting the .iso from your hard drive. Either way, try this:

boot: knoppix nousb

I don't know if you have any USB devices you wish to use but that usually will get you by the error you're getting. Post some hardware details and the output of lspci -v.

e2k
08-23-2003, 07:04 PM
I've got the same problem!
And i tried with these;

knoppix noagp noddc noapm noapic nodma nocmcia nocsi nousb nosmp
But it just didn't work.. Now im trying failsafe..

EDIT: but this isn't a hddinstall, im just trying to run it..