- added another audigy PCI ID -> emu10k1 driver
- changed keyboard layout in XFree to pc105 to for better german keyboard
support in non-KDE desktops

sevengraff
07-26-2003, 09:02 AM
why 3 new releases in 3 days?

knoppix37672
07-26-2003, 10:14 AM
Hey, it's true 3 versions in 3 days, but it was longer than a month before new versions came out. It's good that so many versions are released ! Thanks to the knoppix team ! I liked Linux, now I love Linux ! I really hope they continue to improve the distribution !

Thx !
Erik. (Belgium)

Viro
07-26-2003, 10:55 AM
This is getting annoying. I've now got to learn self-control, and try not to feel the urge to upgrade to the very latest version......

Oh well, I failed. Going to download now... :wink:

Stephen
07-26-2003, 08:36 PM
why 3 new releases in 3 days?

Fixing bugs is a good thing.

softgun
07-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Don't rush to burn :(

Jeff Harrison
07-27-2003, 02:27 AM
I've downloaded and burned the ISO from several sites and they are all coming up with errors. Anyone else having problems with 7/26 build ISO?

Jeff

sevengraff
07-27-2003, 03:19 AM
I thought it was booting a little slow, but no errors.

dangerous@anyspeed
07-27-2003, 05:31 AM
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Guess who just spent 4 days @night downloading the 6-06 version???

larryks
07-27-2003, 11:22 AM
Hello,
I downloaded the latest iso (26.07), check md5sum and knoppix testcd. CD is
for sure ok but Kaboodle (K->Multimedia) doesn't run. Do You have similar problems??
(from the text console - system can't find program)
p.s: Is it posible that system now does not fully support some hardware, chipsets due to
the newest kernel 2.4.21 (less hardware than in ealier Knoppix version).
- thanks for help and best regards

Jeff Harrison
07-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Success. I attempted all listed sites in US and several European sites and none seemed to work - Downloaded ISO from knoppix.nl site using SuSE 8.1 live cd - Knoppix would not let me save to local drives - maybe a permission issue? I ran md5sum and showed ok, burned and posting from system now, so I guess it's ok now.... I had used Fresh Download to download all previous ISO's and had no problems. Will use SuSE or Knoppix to download from now on.

bongski55
07-27-2003, 11:37 AM
I think there is a problem with hardware detection with this kernel.
I had a problem booting the latest morphix cds which come with kernel 2.4.21 on my office pc and Now it is happening to knoppix although it is the reverse.
I can boot the 26-07 knoppix in my office pc but not on my home pc. The boot process gets stuck at the penguin image.

larryks
07-27-2003, 01:25 PM
and .. while the installation on hdd (knx-hdinstall)
I have:

cp: reading 'var/lib/dpkg/info/t1lib1.postinst':Input/output error
cp: reading 'var/lib/dpkg/info/telnetd.list': Input/output error
:cry:

but 'knoppix testcd' didn't indicate any errors. Versions from 20.05 and 06.06 are installing without any problems.
- best regards

Dick W.
07-27-2003, 02:17 PM
V3.2-2003-07-26
- Bugfix: downgraded pppconfig from 2.2 to 2.1 to fix DNS problem with DSL

:?: Will this remedy the fact that I haven't been able to establish an ADSL internet connection using the last two versions of Knoppix. I don't want to go through the whole download, burn schmozzle time and again to attempt a fix.
I have been searching for a discussion of my particular problem in this forum and tried googling for it as well with no luck. Have I just missed a simple solution or will obtaining the latest Knoppix make my life right again?

debianrocker
07-27-2003, 03:26 PM
I understand this copy should of worked with my phoebe usb wireless (USB)

I booted up. it froze while detecting..

thought nothing of it so I rebooted without the usb phoebe wireless.

booted up then selected the usbview under applications > tools

plugged it in walong side my logitec usb optical mouse. and it showed red unknown or whatever then everything froze.

this wireless usb adaptor works wounders in windows.. no problems. it has the common chipset found in alot of wireless adaptors.

I sure hope this is fixed. I love debian.

I have given up on spyware virus unstable infested windows. And am so so happy with rock solid stable world of linux. Been windows clean (on my laptop , main system I use!) since jan 2003.

How long you been clean?!

A. Jorge Garcia
07-27-2003, 03:40 PM
I think we need a 12 Step program, what do you think?

mack
07-28-2003, 01:00 AM
If another release is planned in the near future (seems very often these days), I suggest upgrading to kernel 2.4.22-pre7 (or a newer one if released). I ran into problems with USB 2.0 in high-speed and it turned out to be a bug in ehci-hcd.o. The bug has been fixed in 2.4.22-pre1. I remastered my Knoppix with pre7 and now I can finally used USB 2.0 in high-speed mode without getting hangs on VIA chipsets.

fish_guy
07-28-2003, 03:56 AM
Bittorrent!

Don't forget to leave your bittorrent client up after you download. This helps feed the need 8)

http://www.boegenielsen.dk/knoppix/

tomboc
07-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Hi.
I have Problems with this version. Knoppix no detect my
sound card (AC97, mainboard ECS). With another version
(2003.20.05 and 2003.06.06) all is ok. After install on disk and
loading module (modconf) my card still doesn't work :cry:
BTW - this version slower booting on my computer. What's happend?
-- thnx

mack
07-28-2003, 01:27 PM
Hi.
I have Problems with this version. Knoppix no detect my
sound card (AC97, mainboard ECS). With another version
(2003.20.05 and 2003.06.06) all is ok. After install on disk and
loading module (modconf) my card still doesn't work :cry:
BTW - this version slower booting on my computer. What's happend?
-- thnx

Re soundcard, check if previous versions used the external ALSA drivers for your device.
The latest version upgraded the kernel so if ALSA is the problem, maybe they forgot to recompile the ALSA modules. Just something to check.

No, alsa was compiled ok! Just checked!

cu

Fabian

Vm.
07-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Shucks... I downloaded 3.1 just a week ago. :shock:

ziyad
07-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Shucks... I downloaded 3.1 just a week ago. :shock:

r u sure it was 3.1
3.1 was released ages ago. it is not on the mirrors. where did u get it.

garyng
07-29-2003, 01:38 AM
Does anyone know if the NTFS driver is still the 1.x on the latest CD version ? I have problem reading clooped image on NTFS if the 1.x driver is used.

Coume
07-29-2003, 07:15 AM
hi,
Are you planning to release a Knoppix that immediately integrate the ACPI???

thxs
Ludo

Fabianx
07-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Does anyone know if the NTFS driver is still the 1.x on the latest CD version ? I have problem reading clooped image on NTFS if the 1.x driver is used.

Its not possible to read cloop-KNOPPIX-Fiels form ntfs!

Neither with new nor old driver!

For reading old driver is ok!

cu

Fabian

garyng
07-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Do you mean the new cloop driver ?

I have no problem putting a clooped image on NTFS(and boot from it), so long I use the new 2.x NTFS driver.

Fabianx
07-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Do you mean the new cloop driver ?

I have no problem putting a clooped image on NTFS(and boot from it), so long I use the new 2.x NTFS driver.

Hm, but only with an modified boot-floppy surely ?

That has an ntfs-driver and linuxrc extended ?

cu

Fabian

PS: But, hey good idea! I could provide a boot-floppy with nfts-cloop-mount support...

garyng
07-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Yes, either compile in the new NTFS support in the kernel or add the NTFS module(2.x) in the initrd and change linuxrc accordingly.

What I want to know is if the new CD image already have this or I would still need to use my customized initrd/kernel.

Fabianx
07-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Yes, either compile in the new NTFS support in the kernel or add the NTFS module(2.x) in the initrd and change linuxrc accordingly.

What I want to know is if the new CD image already have this or I would still need to use my customized initrd/kernel.

Customised, ntfs.o is not small and there is not muc hspace on boot-floppy ...

cu

Fabian

garyng
07-29-2003, 02:09 PM
I throw out the scsi drivers which is not in used for 99% of today's desktop.

tomstdenis
08-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Asus A7V333 [rev 1] mobo + Athlon 2400+, IDE hard disks and CD/DVD/CDRW combo, usb mouse and nvidia Ti200 graphics card.

I burnt the CD [md5sum matched], plomped it in [I'm running 6-06 off my hardisk actually :-)], rebooted and it worked fine. It did take a bit longer for the autoconfigure but not that much so as to be a problem. I didn't try out the new install script [since I have a perfectly fine 6-06 installed] so I can't testify as to how that works...

I just wanted to offer some positive feedback to the board :-)

Tom

eye_share
08-06-2003, 05:37 AM
I've downloaded and burned the ISO from several sites and they are all coming up with errors. Anyone else having problems with 7/26 build ISO?

Jeff

Use Nero....close any wizards.......file then click Burn Image.....browse to your iso......should work.....depending on what errors you are recieving.

m2swe
08-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know if lvm partions is working (recognised during bootup) in this version? It did work properly in 3.1 but not in later 3.2 versions.

aitech
08-10-2003, 12:30 AM
I cannot for the life of me get Kismet to work at all. Also trying to use iwpriv gives me a warning that wireless extdensions were compiled with ext16 and this tool is using ext15 when compiled and somethings might be broken.. etc

I have an Orinoco Lucent card on PCMCIA IBM Thinkpad laptop. Recognizes the card and uses it (I am typing this from knoppix 726 through wireless card) but cannot run kismet/airsnort etc.

Anyone have any info for me - was hoping to use this great package for wireless network admin.
Anything you want me to provide the forum for further troubleshooting?

Thanks!
:?

(---------------------)
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ kismet
Server options: none
Client options: none
Entering monitor mode...
Setting interface from //etc/kismet/kismet.conf capinterface
Setting card type from //etc/kismet/kismet.conf cardtype
Enabling monitor mode for a cisco card on eth1
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not permitted.
/usr/bin/kismet_monitor: line 123: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/kismet_monitor: line 124: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/kismet_monitor: line 125: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
Starting server...
NOTICE: Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure.
Using pcap to capture packets from eth1
FATAL: socket: Operation not permitted
Starting UI...
NOTICE: Group file did not exist, it will be created.
FATAL: Could not connect to localhost:2501.
Killing server...
/usr/bin/kismet: line 73: kill: (2551) - No such process
Terminating...
Leaving monitor mode...
Setting interface from //etc/kismet/kismet.conf capinterface
Setting card type from //etc/kismet/kismet.conf cardtype
Disabling monitor mode for a cisco card on eth1
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not permitted.
/usr/bin/kismet_unmonitor: line 106: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/kismet_unmonitor: line 107: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory
Warning: Interface eth1 still in promisc mode... maybe other application is running?
You will likely need to restart your PCMCIA services to reconfigure your card
for the correct channel and SSID.
Done.

(-------------------)
END

mack
08-10-2003, 01:14 AM
/usr/bin/kismet_monitor: line 123: /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/Config: No such file or directory

Your kismet is set to aironet (cisco) by default. Edit kismet.conf, set to orinoco, and retry.

aitech
08-11-2003, 05:33 PM
kismet.conf is in /etc/kismet but this points to /KNOPPIX/etc/kismet (on the CD) thus no edit/save.

How can I unlink it and have a copy reside on the ramdrive and/or copy all of this into ram, etc.

Thanks.

mack
08-11-2003, 06:49 PM
kismet.conf is in /etc/kismet but this points to /KNOPPIX/etc/kismet (on the CD) thus no edit/save.

How can I unlink it and have a copy reside on the ramdrive and/or copy all of this into ram, etc.

Thanks.

from man kismet:

-f Use an alternate config file

but of course you can also unlink the symlink from /etc/kismet and create a new one instead.

aitech
08-12-2003, 05:03 AM
Thank you - sorry I didn't research a bit about the using alt config file first - it's just that I had spent countless days/distro's trying to find a live CD that would just work with everything I wanted across many different hardware platforms w/o many porblems I was a little tired.

BUT I did go research, and this is what I did..

From console -> sudo su for root shell
first a kedit/save of /KNOPPIX/etc/kismet/kismet.conf to /home
then a rm /etc/kismet to unlink/delete symbol
then a cp /home/kismet.conf /etc/kismet to copy the new config
then I have to do a kismet_monitor twice!!!
Then after second time (as evidenced by using wavemon) it puts the card into monitor mode, then you can do kismet ,and it works!!! OMG! :D

First thou, the changes to the kismet.conf

it was set to adapter eth1 / wireless adapter was eth0
capture type to PCAP
Card type to ORINOCO

And I believe that was it.

Also, to make airsnort work, kismet_monitor twice to put card into monitor mode, then load airsnort with ORINOCO_CS module.

I don't know why the kismet_monitor twice, but the first attempt just seems to put the card out of commition, the second time, it starts receiving packets ?? ??

Anyway, so that's done.

Now, and attempt at iwconfig eth0 anything
iwconfig essid "apname"
iwconfig ap FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

whatever - I get a not permitted message. I need to change the AP to a MAC address instead of a essid name because there is no essid or broadcast enabled on this AP, just a BSSID (MAC addr).

The only way I can configure the card is through Knoppix's wcardconfig util, which just seems to run iwconfig/iwpriv/iwspy anyway. ?? And then it only works 60% of the time, sometimes it won't set properlly.

And iwpriv commands come back with not accepeted also. :x

Any ideas?

Also - now what is the best way to get all of this (updated configs, etc) onto a memory card (flash/CF or usb thumbdrive) and have this info/configs auto used when using the live CD? Including the automount to sda1?

Thanks!

IBM THinkpad T21 Laptop with Enterasys/Orinoco Gold PCMCIA.

mack
08-12-2003, 02:06 PM
First, I'm glad I could help with kismet.

Regarding running kismet_monitor twice, check that your orinoco has a supported firmware (8.10 works well for me with orinoco driver 0.13b - patched for monitor mode).

Re using iw* commands to configure card after using in monitor mode, you need to kismet_unmonitor first, and with some firmwares even this doesn't help and you have to eject and re-insert the card before configuring it.

See kismet mailing list archive for more details.

Re preserving changes, look for persistent home in knoppix forums.

aitech
08-12-2003, 10:58 PM
As to the iw* commands;

I have tried unmonitor / eject re-insert and even a clean boot without touching anything else, then trying a iw* and still get op not permitted!?

Thank you.

steve-peve
08-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Why is there not a mailing list that we sign up for that is archived in a zip file for future reference? Forums look nice but there too much trouble especially when the generic Windows software malfunctions constantly.

Either way I bought 100 CDR 700MB discs & they don't burn correctly.
The avi movie I burnt to one has errors & is there a way to fix it?
The Knoppix cd doesn't boot all the way.
Does a PC's hard drive have to be cleared with zeros first for Knoppix to work?

Can I access the files on the hard drive with Knoppix?
I will have to burn on the slowest speed so that no errors occure on the Disc for Knoppix, yes or no?
Should I even try wasting another disc or is the problem with my download?

MD5 does not have specific directions on how to use it.
If there is a space in the line I am supposed to type for MD5 why is that not made clear?

I have head injuries so could someone try to explain in English?

mack
08-13-2003, 01:22 AM
As to the iw* commands;

I have tried unmonitor / eject re-insert and even a clean boot without touching anything else, then trying a iw* and still get op not permitted!?

Thank you.

Doesn't sound like a knoppix problem. I'd try to ask about it in the relevant forums.

Or, if you said your gui works well with it although it just uses the same programs, try to strace -f that gui and see how exactly it runs these programs.

rmayer1
08-17-2003, 01:52 AM
big disappointment. i use 3.1 now and it's perfect...love it. got 3.2 from cheapbytes. runs 3 to 4 times slower and no kaboole. expected better.

Snow
11-20-2003, 06:51 AM
big disappointment. i use 3.1 now and it's perfect...love it. got 3.2 from cheapbytes. runs 3 to 4 times slower and no kaboole. expected better.

I have 3.3 and 3.2. Where can I get earlier versions of Knoppix? Are there any mirrors or secondary sights where one can download them? :?: :D

Yubb
12-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Thanks to finding this thread, I've been able to get my Cisco card into Monitor Mode. However, that's only a minor step for me as I'm almost as new to Linux as I am to this board.

Even though I'm in monitor mode, kismet and airsnort don't work. When I run kismet from the gui menu, it just goes down in the task bar with an hour glass, then it goes away.

I've tried to run it from the shell, but due to the fact that I can't save files anywhere but on the RAMDrive, it errors out. Even though I use -f and point to my modified kismet.conf, something still references //etc somewhere else. :shock:

Do I need to run kismet from the shell? Can I do anything GUI or is that just too unr337? 8(

I'm growing fond of Linux and wouldn't mind installing knoppix to the HD of one of my machines if I can get the hang of it. However, for now, I'd like to run this off a laptop so I can crack a WEP key.