PDA

View Full Version : sound ibm600e

sheel
07-26-2003, 07:12 PM
i have an IBM 600e laptop it says i have a CS4610 sound card but /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig says:
preparing modules for alsa...
building card database..
configuring cs46xx..
running update-modules...
creating snddevices..
setting default volumes...
aumix: error opening mixer
how do i get sound workin?
i spent most of christmas holidys trying to get sound workin from linux-laptop pages but to no avail.

sheel
07-27-2003, 03:31 AM
sound server informational message
error while initialiazing sound driver
device /dev/dsp/ can't be opened(no such device)
the sound server will continue, using the null output device

pstoddard
05-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Here is what I did

Open a shell and logon as root and type
insmod sound
insmod ad1848
insmod uart401
insmod cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2-0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

this will load the correct drivers, however you will have to enter this everytime you reboot so if anyone out there has a script that will run these commands on boot I would appreciate hearing from you.

Update: I finally got the mods above to load at boot what I did was create a file with the above commands and saved it as cs4232 in the /etc folder and made it executable.

Then cd to /etc/rc5.d and ran

ln -s /etc/cs4232 S98cs4232

this created the symlink and I then rebooted the laptop and sound loaded on start.

knub
08-09-2004, 11:39 AM
hi,

first, sorry for my bad english.
i got the ibm tp600e too, and knoppix is the only live-cd and complete (for me) linux that runs fine on my 600e. (suse live-cd freeze at statup...i.e.)
so, my prob:
with the first passage of the how-to theres no problem, but how to make such a automatic script?
sorry, im a newbee in linux and knoppix. knopppix seems to be ideal for me, dsl works, others too, but only the sound...
is the following command ok?
[bash#] chmod a=r+w+x cs4232

and, will it be saved too on my usb stick?

when this works (i save my knoppix config on a usb stick, works great too) with the automatic sound, i will install knoppix on my hd.