PDA

View Full Version : Networking CD Knoppix and WinXP Pro

hernan
07-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Hi, I can't get to network Windows Xp Pro with a booted version of Knoppix..Here are my specs:

I'm using a crossover cable from Knoppix to WinXP Pro.

WinXP detects both network cards as RealTek.

I have WinXP Home in the Knoppix computer and it works perfect.

I don't have any dhcp servers....Windows detects the ip addresses by default and they are:
WinXP Pro: 169.254.118.244
WinXP Home(Knoppix PC) 169.254.78.44

Also, I'm able to ping my loopback address in knoppix.... (i don't know if that helps..)

How do you get both computers networked?

PLEASE HELP!!! My WinXP Pro computer is running 'Proxy+' as a proxy server and i want to set it up in knoppix, but i can't get the computers to talk/see each other!!!!!!!!

I hope that's enough info, if u need anything else, just post here. Thanks

Hernan.

hernan
07-27-2003, 07:18 PM
--Oh Yeah, i forgot!

I started working with Knoppix 3 days ago and it's the first time I work with linux, so It'd be really nice if u can give me a step-by-step guide :D

Hernan

hernan
08-01-2003, 03:21 AM
Hey, is there anyone out there? no one replied to my message...please! it's really important..

thank you very much

Hernan

Stephen
08-01-2003, 03:40 AM
On the XP home computer run ifconfig (I think that's it never used XP) and write down the netcard settings then boot from Knoppix and open a console window and netcardconfig and enter the required settings and see if you can connect never used a crossover cable in linux either so that's about all I have for ideas. Whatever errors if any you get post them so we can see them.

Harry Kuhman
08-01-2003, 05:53 AM
There are a number of potential things. Since it doesn't sound like you have a dhcp server on this setup, make sure you configure an IP address and the related info manually. Also understand that pinging yourself on the loopback address does not tell you anything about your NIC hardware.

Sounds like, from the statement that XP has detected both cards that you have run XP on both systems. While I have no reason yet to think that this has happened to you, be aware that some of us have seen problems with the NIC under Knoppix after having run XP (even when, as in my case, the NIC did work fine with the same Knoppix CD previously). If problems persist it would be helpful if you could confirm that you can talk to, or at least ping, anything else through that NIC while running Knoppix. That way we can determine if it's an issue of talking to XP or an issue of talking at all.

ktheking
09-02-2003, 12:22 AM
Okay , first may I advice you to take a book on how ip adressing works.
This is one of the rare books which ANY network admin MUST know.

Next if you're not planning on becoming one ,this is how it goes...

Not only ip is important,but subnetmask as well..
Two pc configured on a different subnet mask will never be able to talk to one another (ping will result in timed-out). The subnetmask of both have to be the same.

Check it ou on your XP (type ipconfig /all )
The mask should be 255.255.192.0 or 255.255.224.0 .
Accordingly this results in :
255.255.192.0 => with this mask you can use ip 169.254.64.1 till 169.254.127.254 and broadcast ip 168.254.127.255
255.255.224.0 => with this mask you can use ip 169.254.96.1 till 169.254.127.254 and broadcast ip 169.254.127.255

This are the settings to be used for your knoppix if you wish to able to talk to your XP.
Don't try anything else till a 'ping' command results in a real result and not a timed-out .

hope this'll help..

greetzzzz..