PDA

View Full Version : password problem(keyboard?) in knx-hdinstall

gill1109
07-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Just installed Knoppix 3.2 (2003-07-26) EN. Beautiful, congratulations! (I already had experience with a previous version).

One problem - but same as last time - when I set up my passwords in knx-hdinstall I like to use some special characters. When I try to log in when the installation is complete, they are no longer recognised. I suspect that knx-hdinstall thinks I have a German keyboard, while the installed knoppix knows I have a US-English keyboard.

Stephen
07-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Just installed Knoppix 3.2 (2003-07-26) EN. Beautiful, congratulations! (I already had experience with a previous version).

One problem - but same as last time - when I set up my passwords in knx-hdinstall I like to use some special characters. When I try to log in when the installation is complete, they are no longer recognised. I suspect that knx-hdinstall thinks I have a German keyboard, while the installed knoppix knows I have a US-English keyboard.

Either that or you choose a pasword longer than 8 characters if this is the case then try the first 8 characters of the password and it should work. Also the special characters work fine in my passwords.

gill1109
07-27-2003, 08:19 PM
it was just eight characters!

Stephen
07-27-2003, 09:21 PM
it was just eight characters!

I'm out of ideas on that one then if you can reproduce the error I would suggest making a bug report in the bugzilla (http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/).

gill1109
07-28-2003, 05:27 AM
I'm out of ideas on that one then if you can reproduce the error I would suggest making a bug report
No tme for another knx-hdinstall right now, but mabe later, and then I'll try to reproduce the problem.

zoolander
07-28-2003, 06:37 PM

can't you login at all?
if you can get in just go to the settings and change the type of the keyboard... type your pw maybe it wil work maybe it won't...
just try

gill1109
07-28-2003, 07:23 PM
can't you login at all?
if you can get in just go to the settings and change the type of the keyboard... type your pw maybe it wil work maybe it won't...
just try
Well, what I did was to reboot with "knoppix single" (I use GRUB and one can easily modify the boot commands on the fly) so that I could simply re-enter passwords with "passwd" for knoppix and root. And these worked fine thereafter.
But it remains a mystery. The first knoppix I tried was definitely a bit confused as to language (or I was confused, since one has to fix BOTH the keyboard AND the language KDE uses). I just have to try again sometime, making sure that Knoppix Live also knows what language AND what keyboard I have.