PDA

View Full Version : Flickering screen

zoolander
07-28-2003, 02:16 PM
when I start knoppix from the hd, everything runs normal
but when i come in the kdm-part, my screen starts to flicker
I had the same problem when i booted from the cd but I got rid of the problem by typing in
knoppix screen=640x480 XVRefresh=50
when i type this in when i use my boot disk, nothing changes, the screen keeps on flickering...

if you can help me please explain it in clear steps cause i am stil a n00b in linux :oops:

bb
07-28-2003, 05:34 PM
You can change the display settings in the X Display KControl section.

Start the KDE Control Centre (there is an icon on the taskbar; it looks like a computer interface card, or you can go to "Settings, Control Centre" from the KMenu. Under "Peripherals", there should be an entry for X Display (or something like that). It will prompt you for your root password. You should set up your monitor, and then choose the resolution/colour depth/refresh rate you want.

B.

when I start knoppix from the hd, everything runs normal
but when i come in the kdm-part, my screen starts to flicker
I had the same problem when i booted from the cd but I got rid of the problem by typing in
knoppix screen=640x480 XVRefresh=50
when i type this in when i use my boot disk, nothing changes, the screen keeps on flickering...

if you can help me please explain it in clear steps cause i am stil a n00b in linux :oops:

zoolander
07-28-2003, 06:34 PM
that is not correct, by the way, i cannot login as "knoppix" (do you change the pw while installing it to the hd? or is it a preset) in both cases: what is the pw or how can i find it.

I am working now on a 19" screen and everything works fine, but the resolution should be changed to suit my 14", but how!!!!!
please help!

bb
07-29-2003, 01:20 AM
It is correct. You don't log in as knoppix. You log in as yourself. You will need your root password to access the X Display KDE Control Center module. You were prompted to give a root password when you did the hd-install.

As described in my previous post,

1. log in as yourself
2. start the Control Center (K menu, Settings, Control Center)
3. select Peripherals, Display
4. you will be prompted for your root password. Enter it in the box that comes up.
5. The KXconfig dialogue comes up. change the monitor and/or refresh rate settings to suit your monitor, and/or the screen settings to the resolution/refresh rate you want. Choose something your monitor can handle (it's not perfect).
6. select "Quit". It will ask if you want to save your new settings. Say "Yes". It will then tell you that you need to restart your session for the settings to take effect.
7. Log out, and, from the main login screen, select "Menu, Restart X Server". In a couple of seconds you should be back to the login screen with your new settings.

I would strongly recommend you try this first before you start manually editing configuration files in /etc/X11, which can cause all kinds of problems if you are not careful or are not sure what you are doing.

B.

that is not correct, by the way, i cannot login as "knoppix" (do you change the pw while installing it to the hd? or is it a preset) in both cases: what is the pw or how can i find it.

I am working now on a 19" screen and everything works fine, but the resolution should be changed to suit my 14", but how!!!!!
please help!

zoolander
07-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Your respons was a little too late but if it would not be so late it would helped me alot!
well I actualy did edit those files (i deleted alot and replaced about everything) and it works now!!