PDA

View Full Version : New Klaus Knopper Interview

aay
07-28-2003, 05:14 PM
There is a Klaus Knopper interview regarding Knoppix at PCTechtalk (http://www.pctechtalk.com/view.php?id=1239). I like this statement:

I cannot compare [Linux and Windows], because I never had a Windows PC. So far, I can't get around with Windows, it's too complicated for me and I cannot change anything there to fit my needs.

andrei
07-28-2003, 08:11 PM
thanks for the link to the interesting interview!
well, if Knopper never had a window$ PC I suppose he cannot appreciate the absolute beauty of his own product ;-)
cheers!

bfree
08-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Klaus is an excellent advocate for the Free Software world. He holds a balanced viewpoint with regard to horses for courses while clearly outlining the benefits/drawbacks of various options. I also love how he sticks to the RMS line of GNU/Linux and makes sure that he refers to it as a kernel and applications, which reinforces his statements as to the freedom to use the same applications on another kernel (BSD). Someone out there (like the OSDL or Linux International) should put this guy on the pay-roll to do what he's doing and to send him around the world to promote Free Software.
I have loved Knoppix since I discovered it, now I love the man behind it aswell. Keep up the good work Klaus!

andrei
08-07-2003, 12:52 PM
bfree - I was writing this tongue-in-cheek, really only jocking! Of course, Knopper is the ultimate Linux promoter and I am also confident that he was also jocking in the quote which heads this thread.

on anothe topic - does Knopper have a group of people helping him or does it *really* do it all on himself?

Cheers!

bfree
08-07-2003, 01:41 PM
While I realise that it was a touch amusing to read (especially the I've never used Windows bits) overall it really does provide a very nice overview of the different worlds. It's not a "Linux is better" or "Free software is better" or "Windows is evil" type piece which you often read but instead it is a "I like GNU/Linux and Unix" piece which points out that anyone might and it's easy to try. The only piece of the article which seems bizarre is "Most people and companies that I know are already using GNU/Linux on the personal PCs" which in my experience couldn't be further from the truth (unfortunately).

Occupant
08-11-2003, 05:45 AM
bfree - I was writing this tongue-in-cheek, really only jocking! Of course, Knopper is the ultimate Linux promoter and I am also confident that he was also jocking in the quote which heads this thread.

on anothe topic - does Knopper have a group of people helping him or does it *really* do it all on himself?

Cheers!

I just discovered knoppix the other day. I really like it... Iam mostly a windows tech, (the store where I work, sells 99% windows computers, therefore I get very framilar with windows) but would like to get to know linux beter, I liked knoppix because it worked perfectly on my machine in just a few minutes. (although it didnt like running in VMware for some reason)...

The reason I posted here, was, can I use your "boycott SCO" pic? I like the sentiment.

Stephen
08-11-2003, 08:02 AM
The reason I posted here, was, can I use your "boycott SCO" pic? I like the sentiment.

You can have your pick of 4 different ones here (http://pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=871&forum=35) they are released under the terms of the GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html).

andrei
08-11-2003, 10:54 PM

oops. sorry I missed your post. I did not mean to be rude my not answering it. but yes, of course you can use it since its not mine :-)

and look a the one Stephen suggests - pick the best one!

Occupant
08-12-2003, 02:40 AM
Cool. I didnt want to just Hijack your pic, its a small virtuall world and I can see how some would be easily offended by doing that without asking...

to get back on topic, I read the interview, and unlike steve jobs or scott mcneally, who at times come of as zelot fan-boy idiots, Klaus Knopper comes accross as a rational thinking person.

andrei
08-12-2003, 03:44 AM
he sure is one smart guy. but I wonder if there are other helping him. surely such a complete and 'polisshed' product like Knoppix is not the work of one single guy?!

Occupant
08-17-2003, 05:32 AM
he sure is one smart guy. but I wonder if there are other helping him. surely such a complete and 'polisshed' product like Knoppix is not the work of one single guy?!

Perhaps he drinks lots of coffee and doesnt get out much...

But I suspect that thier are a few poeple working on the project. At least on a "part time" basis.. (part time for a programmer is about 60 hours per week)

kronchev
09-21-2003, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry, but as much as I like knoppix and love the GPL and such, I can't say that he is right in never actually owning a Windows PC. It costs money but you can easily get XP and a PC cheaply. Hell I'd buy him a copy so he could play with it. If he can't get things to work how he likes then he doesn't know what to do, just like a person new to Linux wouldn't know what the heck to do. If he was able to spend more time with Windows, I'm not saying he'd like it, but he would definatly gain perspective on other operating systems.

Swearing off something that's different is really close-minded, IMO.

Superstoned
09-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Allright, then, I swore winblows off, after using it for years. I've tried XP too, but that was just more and more irritations. There's almost no customization possible, and if you really want to change anything, you have to download (and pay for) hundreds of little programs, which slow down your system, and make it crash... silly silly silly it is...

(I went linux cuz I can customize it, more than anything else. check, for example, my screenshot:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/jos.poortvliet/knoppixdebian.jpg

Could you EVER make winblows look lik that? well, i think IT IS possible... but then its even slower as it was, and crashes even more... thats why I love linux.

rneff
10-07-2003, 06:04 PM
what is the weather app you have running inthat?

Superstoned
10-09-2003, 08:41 AM
It's Kweather+ from kde-look.org... actually you have to download and install superKaramba first, the support for things like this is not (yet?) kde-native ;-)

(just what I was complaining 'bout m$... but they whould *never* give build-in support for something like this, kde might...)