PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix CD wont complete boot up

Wayne W
07-29-2003, 04:08 AM
Just received version 3.2 dated 7/24/2003 from Cheapbytes today. No joy. I have two machines -- both AMD 2000+ with 256M of memory. ECS MBs Different modems/ differen video cards, different sound.

Can't get either one to boot up. First one hangs trying to write to /etc/fstab. Second one goes to the point of trying to start the Xserver, then just shuts down, and turns off the power to my monitor.

Have I just got a bad CD?? interesting that it hangs at different points. First machine is happily running Mandrake 9.0, dual boot with Win98SE. Second is Win98SE only.

Comments please!

Stephen
07-29-2003, 04:32 AM
Just received version 3.2 dated 7/24/2003 from Cheapbytes today. No joy. I have two machines -- both AMD 2000+ with 256M of memory. ECS MBs Different modems/ differen video cards, different sound.

Can't get either one to boot up. First one hangs trying to write to /etc/fstab. Second one goes to the point of trying to start the Xserver, then just shuts down, and turns off the power to my monitor.

Have I just got a bad CD?? interesting that it hangs at different points. First machine is happily running Mandrake 9.0, dual boot with Win98SE. Second is Win98SE only.

Comments please!

Are you using any cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes)? To check for a bad CD boot with knoppix testcd at the boot: prompt. For the second machine I would suggest using the noddc cheat code to stop detection of the monitor. You may also want to try failsafe, knoppix-txt or vga=normal cheat codes..

Wayne W
07-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Found the problem on the first machine. It hangs up on the USB detection. I have a flashmemory reader on the usb port. When I did the nousb option it went ahead and booted. Also when I removed the reader it also would boot without further options. I notice that hotplug is enabled on knoppix. Should I see anything happen automagically when I plug the flashreader in???? Nothing does, so I guess I will have to find a way to mount it.

:D

Stephen
07-30-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure about the card reader never used one, you may want to start a new thread on that and as always Google Linux (http://www.google.com/linux) is the best place to start the search for answers. What errors are you still getting on the second machine?