PDA

View Full Version : Need to run fsck manually during every reboot

ramu_i
07-29-2003, 06:53 AM
I have recently installed Knoppix on my PC. While the initial installation was successful, I am finding that during every reboot, I see the following message:

/dev/hda3 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
[...]

At that point, I need to run fsck manually and then reboot.

Not sure why this is happening. Is there a way to workaround this issue?

Thanks,

Lilmuckers
07-30-2003, 11:39 AM
i had this problem when i installed with knx-hdinstall

and when i tried knoppix-install i didn't get said problem. i don't know why it should make a difference, but it did.

even with the same disk.

marius
01-01-2004, 09:38 PM
I had this problem with the latest version of Knoppix. (yes i used knx-hdinstall). It seems that the default checkroot.sh file assumes incorrect return codes from fsck/e2fsck. You need to change line 99 from:

if [ $? -gt 1 ]

to:

if [ $? -gt 3 ]

arct0r
01-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Hi.

This is hopefully not *totally* off-topic, but I ran into what looks like a problem.

I had this little toshiba laptop with knoppix 3.1 installed on the hard drive. It hung while powering down, so I hard powered it down.

This made the filesystem unhappy, and when I rebooted, the system ran fsck. Of course, my copy of knoppix 3.1 (a semi custom job I got from a friend of mine at a "large software company") runs xfs.

fsck -- *not* fsck.xfs -- "repaired" the hard drive. Now I have a Toshiba doorstop.

I know I'm running an older version, and I don't know if the regular knoppix distro is xfs, but I suspect that this is a problem worth shouting about.

Cheers.