PDA

View Full Version : hardware autoconfig

droy
07-29-2003, 10:45 AM
When I used Knoppix I found it to be the best Linux distro since it reckognized all of my laptop hardware like my external hard drive connected via PC card firewire. Also I like the standard configuration of KDE a lot.

This convinced me of installing Knoppix to HD. But I was really surprised to see none of the hardware auto configuration working after hdinstall.

Is it possible to include knoppix-autoconfig somewhere in the boot process so that the HD installation gets configured exactly the same way as the Knoppix CD?

I have searched here on this website and I have also googled a bit. I am sorry if I am missing something. Any hint to RTFM would be just fine.

I am just surprised that this topic doesn't seem to be that important or why isn't it covered in the docs? To me, the auto configuration is the most important reason to switch over to Knoppix and I would guess that this is just the same for many users who either don't have the time or the Linux experience to figure out all that stuff on their own. And I am also pretty sure that you wouldn't want to run Knoppix from CD all the time, would you?

droy
07-29-2003, 11:42 AM
I should also mention that running knoppix-autoconfig from SysV editor as mentioned in another thread didn't work for me.

Also, I tried to include the script in one of the run levels in SysV editor but also to no avail. It seems that all modules are being loaded earlier and autoconfig get confused about that.

feh3k
09-01-2003, 04:20 PM
When I used Knoppix I found it to be the best Linux distro since it reckognized all of my laptop hardware like my external hard drive connected via PC card firewire. Also I like the standard configuration of KDE a lot.

This convinced me of installing Knoppix to HD. But I was really surprised to see none of the hardware auto configuration working after hdinstall.

Is it possible to include knoppix-autoconfig somewhere in the boot process so that the HD installation gets configured exactly the same way as the Knoppix CD?

I have searched here on this website and I have also googled a bit. I am sorry if I am missing something. Any hint to RTFM would be just fine.

I am just surprised that this topic doesn't seem to be that important or why isn't it covered in the docs? To me, the auto configuration is the most important reason to switch over to Knoppix and I would guess that this is just the same for many users who either don't have the time or the Linux experience to figure out all that stuff on their own. And I am also pretty sure that you wouldn't want to run Knoppix from CD all the time, would you?

I'm disappointed that no one has answered your question, which I think is an incredibly important one. Is there no solution to this??

Henk Poley
09-01-2003, 09:16 PM
I can think of a 'poormans install', you basicaly copy the big Knoppix compressed-drive onto your HD. You can extract the floppy-image and run the kernel via lilo (bootmanager) or loadlin (DOS). It will run exactly like from the CD-ROM, you won't be able to add anything, etc. There is some documentation about this floating around in this forum (and probably the docs too).

I can also think about a less drastic knx-hdinstall script which extracts the compressed-drive image but doesn't disable the scripts. But I think you would need to patch the boot scripts in a lot of places to make it more like Debian (so you can use apt-get), not using the cloop and ramdrive, etc...

Dave_Bechtel
09-02-2003, 12:46 AM
' apt-get update; apt-get install discover '

I'm disappointed that no one has answered your question, which I think is an incredibly important one. Is there no solution to this??