PDA

View Full Version : Video problems

frannette
01-15-2003, 10:25 PM
On my Pentium II PC knoppix will start up well, but the video screen is devided into two halfs. The right part of the desktop seems to be on the left of the screen and the left part on the right. So the right border and the left border of the screen meet in the middle. Verry strange. However, clicking on items on the screen needs to be done on the places they should be. So I see the start menu of KDE in the middle (bottom), but to open it I have to click on the place it normally is, left bottom. Can someone help me with this.

Loper
01-16-2003, 01:58 AM
<snip>
...the video screen is devided into two halves. The right part of the desktop seems to be on the left of the screen and the left part on the right.
</snip>

It's possible that there may be a monitor incompatibility with the default display mode. Try doing an on-the-fly screen-resolution change. In KDE, press and hold the [Ctrl] and [Alt] keys, then press the [+] or [-] key (on the numeric keypad) to toggle the resolution; in other words, do a [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[+] or [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[-] key combination. Report back; I'll try to help more when I get more info.

(Edited for content: numeric keypad clarification)

Rixel
01-16-2003, 03:39 AM
"do a [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[+] or [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[-] key combination"

the +/- on the keypad

frannette
01-17-2003, 08:53 AM
I have tried ctrl alt + or - but it did not solve this problem. I either get the divided screen or a screen with only horizontal stripes. My video card is a diamond stealth with 4 mB video memory.

Loper
01-17-2003, 03:21 PM
<snip>
I have tried ctrl alt + or - but it did not solve this problem.
</snip>

What monitor do you have (brand/model)? The only other possibility is that the monitor model is mis-read or unreadable. The scan rates can be forced with the cheat codes -- but we need to figure them out first (I used to be a monitor repairman, so I know these things...).

frannette
01-17-2003, 06:57 PM
I use a Philips 17 inch monitor model: 17C2622E (107S)

01-17-2003, 08:48 PM
The Philips 17-inch monitor model 17C2622E is not sold here in the States, but a Google search found an Italian site that gave me enough info to go on, I think. At the initial boot prompt, try typing in

knoppix xvrefresh=60

If that works, try

knoppix xvrefresh=75

and let us know...

frannette
01-18-2003, 01:00 PM
xvrefresh=60 gives a screen with only horizontal stripes, 75 gives the divided screen. I have tried another kernel, fb800x600 and this seems to work fine. Also fb1024x768 works fine. I will test further and let you know

Jan_Marius
01-20-2003, 09:13 PM
I had the same problem with my Diamond Steath SII 220 card.
I solved by using:
knoppix xmodule=vesa
from the syslinux bootprompt
:D

Rob
01-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Yep, I am finally installing this on my old pc and well, it too has the Stealth II S220 with the KDS XF70 monitor. I tried the "knoppix xmodule=vesa" and the [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [+] and or [-]. The + and - keys made the refresh rate change drastically. However, none of them were able to correct the problem of the split screen that I have.

Is there anything else I might be able to try?

Rob

Rob
01-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Well, while trying to change the xserver setup, I ended up in the Debian xserver configuration utility. Man, that is one place a newbie really doesn't want to be. Now I get keyboard errors and all. Think I will try and reload.

Rob
01-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Okay, have to load Knoppix for the first time with the "knoppix xmodule=vesa" and then load to hard drive. Works great after that!

Thanks!
Rob

Dave_Bechtel
01-24-2003, 08:12 PM
--Eh, reinstalls happen to everybody, in time... I've done mine at least 3 times just for Knoppix... :roll:

Okay, have to load Knoppix for the first time with the "knoppix xmodule=vesa" and then load to hard drive. Works great after that!

Thanks!
Rob