PDA

View Full Version : Moving files around in knoppix

kleptophobiac
07-29-2003, 09:46 PM
I want to mount a windows SMB share over the network (project complete, difficulty - easy) and then have it become an NFS partition so that I can do a netinstall of Slackware with it. The slackware machine needs to be able to mount the NFS server's share (is that the right name for it?) and then install all the linux packages.

I know it is a weird and twisted path for the data, that goes from wired to wireless network, but that's what I need to accomplish.

So uhh... how do I get the NFS server started and sharing the SMB mount?

Dave_Bechtel
08-06-2003, 03:36 AM
--Uhhhh... D'ya think you could elaborate more on this Rube Goldberg-esque project? Maybe a diagram of what you want to do and why?

--That said, from what I can make out you might be better off booting Knoppix on the Windows box, mounting whatever partition contains your files to be transferred, put an entry for that directory in /etc/exports, /etc/init.d/portmap start, /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start, /etc/init.d/nfs-common start. Then the files can be transferred direct-NFS instead of some goofy double-network filesystem thing. Of course there's quite a bit more to it than that (network config for one thing) but that's the basic skeleton.

I want to mount a windows SMB share over the network (project complete, difficulty - easy) and then have it become an NFS partition so that I can do a netinstall of Slackware with it. The slackware machine needs to be able to mount the NFS server's share (is that the right name for it?) and then install all the linux packages.

I know it is a weird and twisted path for the data, that goes from wired to wireless network, but that's what I need to accomplish.

So uhh... how do I get the NFS server started and sharing the SMB mount?