PDA

View Full Version : WLAN and DHCP troubles

odrade
07-29-2003, 10:55 PM
Hello,

I am running knoppix off of CDROM and am attempting to get my Linksys WPC51AB wireless LAN card to connect to the network. The card is not detected by knoppix, but I can manually load the drivers, at which time the wlcardconfig utility detects it and will apply the settings I specify.

My problem is that I am not able to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server/Linksys Broadband Router on my network. If I manually configure an IP, I can ping the DHCP server, but if I just bring up the interface (or manually restart networking or manually restart pcmcia services), it does not grab an IP. When I do a iwconfig, it lists the router's proper MAC address as its Access Point so I know it sees it.

Stupid question-- how can I manually force my WLAN interface go out and search for an IP? On other linux distros I have used "dhcpcd" or "dhcclient" but cannot find either in knoppix.

Stupid question #2-- the wlanconfig utility finds the NIC fine once I load the drivers, however the netcardconfig utility still says it finds no supported cards. Is this normal when your Wifi is the only NIC, and if so, is there a utility to configure IP address settings for wifi cards?

Sorry for such a long post, thanks in advance...

aay
07-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Hello,

I am running knoppix off of CDROM and am attempting to get my Linksys WPC51AB wireless LAN card to connect to the network. The card is not detected by knoppix, but I can manually load the drivers, at which time the wlcardconfig utility detects it and will apply the settings I specify.

My problem is that I am not able to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server/Linksys Broadband Router on my network. If I manually configure an IP, I can ping the DHCP server, but if I just bring up the interface (or manually restart networking or manually restart pcmcia services), it does not grab an IP. When I do a iwconfig, it lists the router's proper MAC address as its Access Point so I know it sees it.

Stupid question-- how can I manually force my WLAN interface go out and search for an IP? On other linux distros I have used "dhcpcd" or "dhcclient" but cannot find either in knoppix.

Knoppix uses pump.

Stupid question #2-- the wlanconfig utility finds the NIC fine once I load the drivers, however the netcardconfig utility still says it finds no supported cards. Is this normal when your Wifi is the only NIC, and if so, is there a utility to configure IP address settings for wifi cards?

Sorry for such a long post, thanks in advance...

Do you mean "wlcardconfig"? I don't know what wlanconfig is.

Netcardconfig won't give you listings for wireless cards.

Besides wlcardconfig you can use iwconfig to configure your card.

odrade
07-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Sorry, 'wlcardconfig' of course. Thanks for the info on pump! I have tried to use iwconfig to configure my settings, but for some reason it doesn't save any changes I make (maybe because I am running off of CDROM?) I have only been able to change wifi settings through wlcardconfig. Thnkas again for your response.