PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't someone tell me this sooner?!

three eyes open
07-29-2003, 11:49 PM
I have a collection of mp3s made from my music cds; this way I save wear and tear on the cds themselves. I was listening to some of them last night on xmms, which is the first time I've used it (it's been so difficult to find a distro that configures my sound card). Some of them actually sound better than they did on Windows! And I'd listened to them with WMP, Musicmatch and Winamp. And they sound better than when played straight off the cd too!

All i can say is Wow! I'm both amazed and delighted.

rickenbacherus
07-30-2003, 12:25 AM
So.....now that you've "seen the light" go and tell all the others still trapped in winbondage so that they can experience a real os too! :)

Oh and BTW- try out .ogg instead of mp3. It's open source of course and has better sound.
How do you make .oggs? Couldn't be easier.

AS root:

apt-get install abcde
(A Better CD Encoder)

Then just cd to the directory you want your .oggs in (make a new folder perhaps) and do abcde It will not only rip the tracks from your cd it will convert them to .ogg's all without any intervention by you whatsoever.

Yes- XMMS plays .oggs too.

three eyes open
07-30-2003, 12:28 AM
Cool! Thanks for the tip! :D

Stephen
07-30-2003, 03:52 AM
I'll throw my vote in for Grip, apt-get install grip it will rip to ogg also.

bongski55
07-30-2003, 05:14 AM
Ogg may be good but it won,t play on my car player,mobile phone and memory stick which plays mp3s

Stephen
07-30-2003, 05:50 AM
Ogg may be good but it won,t play on my car player,mobile phone and memory stick which plays mp3s

Their on the way (http://www.celinuxforum.org/PressRelease/pr02.htm) you will soon be able use linux on all your devices.

aay
07-30-2003, 06:00 AM
three eyes open,

I like your location! But if you're coming from windows you may have been coming from hell! Anyway, glad you're enjoying Knoppix. Download it, use it, break it, have fun.

Adam

three eyes open
07-30-2003, 06:35 AM
Lol! :lol: Well, I wouldn't say it's actually Hell, but you can see it from here. :wink:

Q3Man
07-30-2003, 11:06 PM
First off, I agree that for some reason, mp3's just sound better from xmms.

Also, I'd like to mention that I used knoppix for the first time yesterday in a work related sence. A company wanted an entire hdd backed up to another computer over thier network. The previous employee had been fired and they were moving his computer off into storage. I was faced with a win2k/ntfs machine which I had no passwords to. Easy enough to do the 'regular' way via the recovery console, but I decided to pop in knoppix, browse the network, and upload the entire hdd in a flash.

Knoppix is a great tool. I know this was mentioned in the suggestions, but it would be *perfect* for me to evalagenize (?) my friends with if it had an AOL dialer in there.

j.drake
07-30-2003, 11:24 PM
I know this was mentioned in the suggestions, but it would be *perfect* for me to evalagenize (?) my friends with if it had an AOL dialer in there.

And I could use a NetZero dialer, being the cheapskate that I am. :wink: Consequently, all my web browsing is done in Windows.

sakiZ
02-04-2005, 09:25 PM
<<<Then just cd to the directory you want your .oggs in (make a new folder perhaps) and do abcde It will not only rip the tracks from your cd it will convert them to .ogg's all without any intervention by you whatsoever. >>>>.

OK, big question from a dual/booting XP/Knoppix user.

In Nero, it will convert mp3s back to standard audio tracks when copying back to a CD.

Does abcde or grip do that?

sakiZ

UnderScore
02-05-2005, 03:38 AM
In Nero, it will convert mp3s back to standard audio tracks when copying back to a CD.
abcde and grip are CD audio rippers similar in concept to windows ExactAudioCopy and CDEX. Nero is a cd burning program which contains a decoder to convert the compressed audio to standard CD audio so that it can be properly burned. Linux has many simialr CD burning programs, one of which is K3b (included in Knoppix) and yes it can convert from MP3 to WAV or OGG to WAV on the fly.
I hope this helps.
James

Harry Kuhman
02-05-2005, 04:16 AM

An important consideration in burning audio CD's, particularly from mp3 but also to a lesser extent for WAV files, is that the resulting tracks are no where near the quality of the original audio tracks (they are actually less than the quality of the mp3). You do get a standard audio CD again, you do not get back the original quality. It's always best to avoid this conversion when burning if you can.

sakiZ
02-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the info on mp3 to CD. I really have yet to play with this, having used K3B only for copying CDs so far.

If I try it and discover the sound quality is too deteriorated, well........then I won't go there. :-)

Sounds good.

sakiZ

Cuddles
02-07-2005, 06:22 PM

An important consideration in burning audio CD's, particularly from mp3 but also to a lesser extent for WAV files, is that the resulting tracks are no where near the quality of the original audio tracks (they are actually less than the quality of the mp3). You do get a standard audio CD again, you do not get back the original quality. It's always best to avoid this conversion when burning if you can.

Any process that uses "compression" will get you this... As Harry states... OOG for audio, and JPEG for images... I used to edit "production" images...

A trick was to take a "starting" image, I will use pictures for this example, save it as a JPG, then edit that saved image, re-save it as a JPG, and repeat this process, lets say, five times. Now, compare the "original" to the last saved "image" - even with 99% retention, you will still notice that some "clarity" is missing. This holds true with sound files as well. A "purist" will be able to "notice" sound missing, but, most, will not notice that "drastic" a change.

If you are going to "master" something, the best is to save it with NO compression, either the format, or the process, and use only non-compressed images, or sound files, when doing a "copy" to another. The other option is "direct copy", in which the source is directly transfered to the target, with absolutly no compression or conversions being made on the process. ( and even then, some "detail" is being lost )

benjamin1254
02-13-2005, 11:58 PM
I know this was mentioned in the suggestions, but it would be *perfect* for me to evalagenize (?) my friends with if it had an AOL dialer in there.

And I could use a NetZero dialer, being the cheapskate that I am. :wink: Consequently, all my web browsing is done in Windows.

if your truly cheap like me you will run and hide from windows... it costs nearly $100 just so u can get the thing but it has so many bugs you cant tell which end is up! thats why i have left windows almost indefinitly!

Leipe_Po
05-12-2005, 02:26 PM
cool i myself was not able to find something to rip music from cd onto the hd...
thnx verry mutch for this info!!! a quick search does it again...

bigkahuna
05-12-2005, 05:58 PM

Not using Linux to cruz the 'net? Huh? :shock: You're missing out on one of Linux's biggest advantages: internet security! Seriously, if Knoppix works with your modem (and unless it's a winmodem like I was using, it probably will) you should be using Knoppix to access the net, not Windoze. For months I was forced to use XP to access the net, and inspite of all of XP's "security" enhancements and AVG's daily virus updates, I still picked up a virus less than a week after a clean install! I finally got around to buying an external 56k modem on eBay (for $18 including shipping) and I'm -real- happy I did!

Seriously, you should dump AOL or even NetZero if it doesn't support Linux. There are -LOTS- of ISP's that will match or beat NetZero's deal. I'm using "FlexNet" here in the US ($9.95/month), and theres a $7.95 a month deal on the Damn Small Linux website ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/nicrevival.html ) that I've been tempted to switch to.

I'm also getting faster throughput on my dialup, don't know why but I've tested it a couple of times and it always shows about the same results, my throughput under Linux is about 20% faster.

Plus you won't have to worry about all those %$#!# "security updates" and "virus updates" that come with using Windoze.

Just my 2 bits :wink:

jjmac
05-16-2005, 10:53 AM
A person would have to be made to go online in Windows i recon, especially with IE ...

There is just, heaps of choice when it comes to Linux browsers.

Just for interest ....

Go into your IE in windows, and delete your page cache, and cookie cache. Then reboot into your Linux and mount your windows C:\ drive. And navigate down into the windows directory. Or its' equive ...
go into the "Tempoary Internet Files" directory. Ha ! still there !!!!
And all the cookies will still be in the cookies directory ....

Trust Windows (grin)

and Riding Hood asks her famous questions ....

jm

-:- If the system is the answer, then the question
must have been really stupid -:-