PDA

View Full Version : partition icons on the desktop

ferreter
07-29-2003, 11:49 PM
Hello all,

Just a quick question: When I install knoppix to my hdd I seem to lose one of the coolest parts of the GUI boot which was the automatic detection of partitions which in turn put an icon for each partition on my kde screen. How do I get this functionality back?

ferreter
07-29-2003, 11:52 PM
Forget it, found out I have to:

"As root do 'rebuildfstab' (without qoutes).

then as user 'mkdesktophdicons'.

This will make your desktop icons look the same as a CD based."

Sorry about asking first and searching later. :oops:

aay
07-30-2003, 07:48 AM
Forget it, found out I have to:

"As root do 'rebuildfstab' (without qoutes).

then as user 'mkdesktophdicons'.

This will make your desktop icons look the same as a CD based."

Sorry about asking first and searching later. :oops:

NP. The new installer actually takes care of this problem. Just make sure you use knoppix-installer and not knx-hdinstall.

FelixDzerzhinsky
08-04-2003, 07:51 PM
That worked for me also.

I am getting this message when I try my cdrom:

"Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist. "

Also I don't have any icon for my cd burner. Knoppix detected prior to hdinstall.

Any Ideas???

Thanks

aay
08-04-2003, 07:58 PM
That worked for me also.

"Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist. "

Also I don't have any icon for my cd burner. Knoppix detected prior to hdinstall.

Any Ideas???

Thanks

Check your /etc/fstab. Sounds like there is the mount point for your cdrom is not /mnt/cdrom but something else - possibly /cdrom.

Edwin
08-04-2003, 08:20 PM

I solved this by running K3b Setup (K-menu -> System). This will create the entries in /etc/fstab. You can then create the icons on the desktop.

HTH

- - Edwin

Stephen
08-04-2003, 09:00 PM
That worked for me also.

Any Ideas???

Thanks

Assuming you cdrom is the first device in the /etc/fstab.

/dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /burner iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

You will have to make the mount point /burner as root in the / directory (mkdir burner) for this to work. If the burner is the first device then change the order to suit. After you modify the fstab you just have to right click on the desktop and create an icon for the burner.

ferreter
08-14-2003, 07:08 AM
You mentioned how to get a cd burner going, well my HD install seems to have all the entries in fstab (as cdrom1) by default. But again no desktop icon or easy way to access it. Funny the knx boot CD detects it just fine.

fstab:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0

Stephen
08-14-2003, 07:27 AM
You mentioned how to get a cd burner going, well my HD install seems to have all the entries in fstab (as cdrom1) by default. But again no desktop icon or easy way to access it. Funny the knx boot CD detects it just fine.

fstab:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0

If the mount point /cdrom1 and /dev/cdrom1 actually exits on the system then right click on the desktop and choose Create New -> CD/DVD Device when the dialog comes up select the proper device in the device tab then select OK to create the icon.

Note: If the /dev/cdrom1 and /cdrom1 do not exist then you should use the scd1 line from my post above and create a mount point for it.

ferreter
08-14-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks, I'll look into that when I get home then :)