PDA

View Full Version : A compromise for us who've installed Knoppix to the hd?

three eyes open
07-30-2003, 12:23 AM
How about, instead of a dvd, which not everyone will be able to use, making a multi-cd set for installing to the hard drive using all the apps that are on the dvd?

And make it so that after Knopix is installed, it comes up with a screen for the user to install more software from these cds, as many as they have or don't, ala Red Hat?

shandar
08-18-2003, 09:23 PM
Then knoppix would loose it's function. The "thing" with knoppix is that it should boot from a cd and run without any installers. If you want to install knoppix in that way you mentioned above, why not try debian that knoppix is built from? Or any other linux distro...

HalfWalker
10-13-2003, 03:34 AM
Installing Debian from scratch to hard disk, while not exactly hard, isn't trivial either. And once you've done all the dselect/apt-get etc, you're still nowhere near the utility of Knoppix.

Missing are all the neato-keen scripts and setups. It's the custom configuration and the auto-sensing hardware setup, the auto-mounting of usb drives and all the rest that make the Knoppix deal so much more.

Of course, all that is possible in Debian, but that's the key and the problem. *You* have to do it.

I'm all for seeing the Knoppix way become the Debian way of installing a base system. I'm a die-hard Debian user, but when installing for someone who's never seen it, there's always an apologetic "you have to do this, you have to do that, configure this that way, watch out for this, remember that" going on.

Knoppix kind of removes all that. "Remember that Debian install we did last month ? Well, check this out !"

D.

bubazoo
11-23-2003, 02:43 AM
personally, I think the "knoppix-install"
script they have on the knoppix CD is extremely unstable,

if only there were another way to do it, and still get the knoppix feel on the hd, ya know?

but I agree about the DVD, because not everyone has a DVD burner, I know I don't.. although I wouldn't mind purchasing a DVD to check it out :)

only thing that gets me about knoppix in general, vs the others, its like, constantly in beta, so like, even the latest knoppix is very buggy.

not much better then Fedora if you ask me. everyone complains about fedora being buggy and constantly in beta, well, so is knoppix.....
and at least with knoppix there is an update like every week
(thats why I don't like buying a CD of it because then I'd have to buy a new CD every week which would be a major pane in my pocketbook.)
LOLOL

Snow
03-13-2004, 08:46 AM
How about, instead of a dvd, which not everyone will be able to use, making a multi-cd set for installing to the hard drive using all the apps that are on the dvd?

And make it so that after Knopix is installed, it comes up with a screen for the user to install more software from these cds, as many as they have or don't, ala Red Hat?

If you want to install Knoppix 3.3 or higher on your harddrive just open a console and enter: sudo knoppix-installer
or if you are running a older release use : sudo knx-hdinstall
This will start the installer to do a Hard Drive load and just answer a few questions. 3.3 and up is realy easy.