PDA

View Full Version : streamlining after hd-install

todsr1
07-30-2003, 12:53 AM
After an hd install on a system with limited disk space I thought I'd clean off the bits of Knoppix that I don't actually need... most of this went fine, just a couple of probs.
(1) How do I purge the system of openoffice.org - nice tool, just too bulky in this case - it gets installed in /opt/openoffice and while I could just delete this directory it won't purge the system of the config files and remove openoffice.org from the 'KDE menu'.
(2) What about getting rid of KDE...? It's eating too much memory and I'm quite happy in something like evilwm. I've tried apt-get --purge remove kde*, but that wants to remove a whole chunk of other things that I'd rather not lose like hotplug, initrd-tools, pcmcia-cs, and others... I've removed bit by bit a bunch of KDE apps, but that's a pretty time consuming and not particularly helpful... surely there's a neater way of doing this?
(3) I guess I also don't need the knoppix specific stuff... it's a great installer, but some of that stuff ain't necessary if a hd-install is supposed to be just plain ole' Debian!
Many thanks...

Stephen
07-30-2003, 03:58 AM
After an hd install on a system with limited disk space I thought I'd clean off the bits of Knoppix that I don't actually need... most of this went fine, just a couple of probs.
(1) How do I purge the system of openoffice.org - nice tool, just too bulky in this case - it gets installed in /opt/openoffice and while I could just delete this directory it won't purge the system of the config files and remove openoffice.org from the 'KDE menu'.

apt-get --purge remove openoffice-de-en

(2) What about getting rid of KDE...? It's eating too much memory and I'm quite happy in something like evilwm. I've tried apt-get --purge remove kde*, but that wants to remove a whole chunk of other things that I'd rather not lose like hotplug, initrd-tools, pcmcia-cs, and others... I've removed bit by bit a bunch of KDE apps, but that's a pretty time consuming and not particularly helpful... surely there's a neater way of doing this?

apt-get --purge remove kdelibs4

(3) I guess I also don't need the knoppix specific stuff... it's a great installer, but some of that stuff ain't necessary if a hd-install is supposed to be just plain ole' Debian!
Many thanks...

dpkg -l | grep knoppix* then remove the packages listed.

todsr1
07-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks. This pretty much gets rid of everything. But why don't the directory and config files all get removed.

ap-get --purge remove openoffice-de-en got rid of most of the openoffice stuff, though I also found ttf-openoffce lurking around. I still have an openoffice directory in my home directory...

apt-get --purge remove kdelibs4 also does a reasonable, but incomplete job. Testing apt-get -s --purge remove kde* still lists a number of kde programs that I had to remove by hand I still can'T remove hotplug-knoppix and mkdesktophdicons-knoppix

dpkg -l | grep knoppix* was pretty helpful but also lists usleep-knoppix, which I can't remove. All three of these flag sysvinit as an additional package to be removed that shouldn't be....

So, how do I deal with this dependency and getting rid of final config files and the like.

Thanks...

Stephen
07-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Once the programs are removed and you just have the directory for them left just open a console and rm -f /Path_to_directory__for_removal you may have to use -rf if there are sub-directories.

The KDE programs are the ones that do not depend on the kdelib4 so they would not have been removed anyway so you have no choice but to remove them by hand as for the knoppix leftovers that depend on the sysvinit your best off leaving them alone it may not be the best solution but unless you want to try a fresh install of some other flavour of Debian then you will never end up with just the packages you want on the machine.