PDA

View Full Version : "Mismatched timestamp", WTF?!?!?!? I can't boot up

three eyes open
07-30-2003, 07:47 AM
When I started up my Linux box a little while ago it wouldn't boot up! All I got was a black screen with the words "LILO_Mismatched Timestamp" in the upper left hand corner. I couldn't figure out how to boot it up so I booted Knoppix from the cd and tried to reinstall it. I didn't do anything different this time than when I installed Knoppix to my hard drive a few days ago but when I tried to boot up my freshly installed system, same thing, "LILO_Mismatched Timestamp". How do I fix this? :? :? :?

And can someone tell me how to use cfdisk correctly during the install? Like how to exit it after the partition table has been written? And how do you assign what each partition is for, like which one you mean to be the swap partition? I searched online and all I could find was info on what size the three basic partitions should be. I already knew that.

Dammit, it was just about perfect! I was planning to apt-get a few apps today and then it would have been perfect. :x

Stephen
07-30-2003, 08:13 AM
When I started up my Linux box a little while ago it wouldn't boot up! All I got was a black screen with the words "LILO_Mismatched Timestamp" in the upper left hand corner. I couldn't figure out how to boot it up so I booted Knoppix from the cd and tried to reinstall it. I didn't do anything different this time than when I installed Knoppix to my hard drive a few days ago but when I tried to boot up my freshly installed system, same thing, "LILO_Mismatched Timestamp". How do I fix this? :? :? :?

And can someone tell me how to use cfdisk correctly during the install? Like how to exit it after the partition table has been written? And how do you assign what each partition is for, like which one you mean to be the swap partition? I searched online and all I could find was info on what size the three basic partitions should be. I already knew that.

Dammit, it was just about perfect! I was planning to apt-get a few apps today and then it would have been perfect. :x

It's a bug (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=188166) with lilo you should be able to boot from the CD and mount the / partition and run LILO to write to the MBR. When booted from the CD open a console window and sudo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd?? to mount the drive then sudo chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v to actually write LILO to the MBR of the drive. replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the / partition.

One package you should install when you get it running is apt-listbugs that where I seen this no more than a hour ago when I upgraded.

three eyes open
07-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Thank you so much, Stephen! :D

But, please, could someone answer my questions about using cfdisk? I'm really confused here, and when I'm at that screen I can't get out of it without exiting the installation. The way I installed it before was to put in my Mandrake disk and let it partition the hard drive and then reboot with knoppix.

Stephen
07-30-2003, 09:32 AM
Thank you so much, Stephen! :D

But, please, could someone answer my questions about using cfdisk? I'm really confused here, and when I'm at that screen I can't get out of it without exiting the installation. The way I installed it before was to put in my Mandrake disk and let it partition the hard drive and then reboot with knoppix.

You would just select the quit option and it exits the program it is on the bottom left IIRC, then it continues with the install.

three eyes open
07-30-2003, 09:51 AM
You would just select the quit option and it exits the program it is on the bottom left IIRC, then it continues with the install.

But....but....it doesn't continue, it just stops. :?

three eyes open
07-30-2003, 10:36 AM
When booted from the CD open a console window and sudo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd?? to mount the drive then sudo chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v to actually write LILO to the MBR of the drive. replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the / partition.

Didn't work. :(

Sigh........

Stephen
07-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Which version are you using? Could you post from a CD boot the output of sudo fdisk -l /dev/hd? so I can see the partitions on the drive also which installer are you using the knx-hdinstall of the new knoppix-installer? replace the ? with the drive letter you are trying to install to some other machine specs may be helpfull also.

three eyes open
07-30-2003, 08:24 PM
I'm using the new 3.2 with Fabian Franz's script (sudo knoppix-installer).

The machine is a AMD Athlon 1800 (which is 1550 megahertz), 256 DDR ram, 2 hard drives, one 40 gig and one 20 gig. The 40 gig hd was the one I installed Knoppix/Debian on. It has a Via Rhine ethernet and a Via sound module (which means it has no actual sound card; I'm planning to get a Sound Blaster soon) and a 128 mb Nvidia Geforce4. The 20 gig hd was left blank for now.

I tried to use my Debian Woody cd as a rescue disk but it just went into a kernel panic. :(

I must say, nothing like this ever happened with the old knx-hdinstall when I used it. I used the new script because I had sound for the first time with the new version.

I'm going to try again in about an hour and a half, when I have the time.

Sorry to cause you so much trouble, Stephen. When I get home, I'll boot from the cd and post the partition table like you asked.

Stephen
07-30-2003, 09:45 PM
If you have had no problems with the old installer then I would give that a try again it will still install the system even with the new version of Knoppix although I'm not sure if it is included but you could just boot from an old version and copy the file somewhere if it is not included and then use it.

Your not causing me any trouble I'm here to help, it's all part of the master plan world domination one user at a time we have secret meetings on IRC so don't tell anyone. :wink:

three eyes open
07-31-2003, 12:23 AM
Well, it seems to be working now; sixth times the charm, I guess. :wink: I'm an exceptionally stubborn person.

First of all, knx-hdinstall just gives you a "permission denied" mesage with the new script. :(

I see the problem with cfdisk - after the partitions are written to the disk, they're not initialized or mounted. I initialized mine with the Debian disk (that's how I found this out).

But I have an important question:

If I do have to reinstall with the previous release of 3.2 (knx-hdinstall), where would I get the improved sound driver the newest release is using? Apt-get update didn't install it, and I updated just a day before the new release was available for download (I downloaded it as soon as it came out).

three eyes open
07-31-2003, 12:43 AM
I've updated and rebooted and it's still working, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

One more question: how do i change the screen resolution to 800x600? I can barely make out anything on this small monitor with the default resolution.

Stephen
07-31-2003, 02:48 AM
I've updated and rebooted and it's still working, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

One more question: how do i change the screen resolution to 800x600? I can barely make out anything on this small monitor with the default resolution.

Good to hear you got it going. For the resolution you can edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and remove the 800x600 references and any higher in the lines to set the default to 640x480. Relevant section of my file:

vendorname "Acer Peripherals"
modelname "54e"
ModeLine "1024x768/65Hz" 65 1024 1032 1176 1344 768 771 777 806 -HSync -VSync
ModeLine "800x600/72Hz" 50 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +HSync +VSync

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D Rage Pro AGP [264GT Pro GB]"
Monitor "API:3645"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

With this you can see I am using 24 bit for the default color depth and in that depth the 1024x768 comes first therefore it will be used the modlines at the very top of the example show that I will only have screens of 1024x768 and 800x600 if I use the change on the fly method of adjusting the resolution ( CTRL and ALT at the same time then + or - keypad keys to change the resolution ) you can also use this method when running if you want. You could also boot from the with the cheat code screen=640x480 and mount your install / partition and copy the file from the CD to the HD. As always before you take any of these steps make a copy of the original file so you can have it for latter use if you mess things up at least you can always get back to a working copy.