PDA

View Full Version : How to Open Konqueror in the Directory as Your Current Shell

aay
07-30-2003, 09:03 AM
This is not really a Knoppix specific tip, but useful none the less for people who use Konqueror.

Have you ever been in a shell, a few directories deeper than your home directory and want to be able to open Konqueror in that same directory without having to open it and navigate there manually? I sure have. There is a way to do this.

From the shell type this:

kfmclient exec .

Then Konqueror will open to the directory that you are currently located in. Since I do a lot of navigating from the shell, but sometimes want to open and use some of the Konqueror file tools, I find this really useful. Hopefully others will too.

monkymind
07-30-2003, 10:07 AM
I usually end up in the opposite situation. Browsing a directory with konq and wanting to change to a terminal window.
Accomplished by:-

ctrl+t

Thanks for your tip!
rob

aay
07-30-2003, 06:39 PM
I usually end up in the opposite situation. Browsing a directory with konq and wanting to change to a terminal window.
Accomplished by:-

ctrl+t

Thanks for your tip!
rob

That's nice. I had been right clicking on the screen and choosing the "Open Terminal Here" option, but I like your way better.

paradocs
07-31-2003, 04:41 AM
Hi All

Thanks. This has solved a problem for
an expect script I am writing.

My solution was not giving the correct KDE
look. The links were underlined.

MyCode

konqueror --config /etc/kderc /home/knoppix

Where is there documentation for kfmclient?
Can I influence the window geometry or where it
pops up?

My most important question is how do you come up
with a discovery like this? What is your secret --
or are you not telling? If I have a key word
how do I search all the manuals -- or do you
just read them alphabetically. :shock:

K --> Help --> UNIX manual pages
has a lot to browse through but it
would be nice to have a search function.

Thanks!
Best Wishes
paradocs (edit 1)

aay
07-31-2003, 07:27 AM
My most important question is how do you come up
with a discovery like this? What is your secret --
or are you not telling?

I figured there must be a way to do this so I googled for it. I came up with this (http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/kfmclient.html) page. It contains everything I know about the matter. Hopefully it's helpful.

Edwin
07-31-2003, 03:00 PM
If I have a key word
how do I search all the manuals -- or do you
just read them alphabetically.

It won't help in all situations, but 'apropos <keyword>' searches the manual page names and descriptions.

HTH

- - Edwin

paradocs
08-01-2003, 05:48 AM
Thanks Edwin

Now I just have to remember the ending "s" in apropos

paradocs

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 10:48 PM
--If you want to emulate Win behavior, edit ~/.bashrc and put in an alias:

alias start="kfmclient exec ."

Then ' source ~/.bashrc ' to grab the change.

This is not really a Knoppix specific tip, but useful none the less for people who use Konqueror.

Have you ever been in a shell, a few directories deeper than your home directory and want to be able to open Konqueror in that same directory without having to open it and navigate there manually? I sure have. There is a way to do this.

From the shell type this:

kfmclient exec .

Then Konqueror will open to the directory that you are currently located in. Since I do a lot of navigating from the shell, but sometimes want to open and use some of the Konqueror file tools, I find this really useful. Hopefully others will too.