View Full Version : Need help located CDRW 700 2x (low speed) media

pau1knopp
07-30-2003, 03:12 PM
In an attempt to avoid filling up the land fill with all my Knoppix CD's, I would like to start burning to CDRW media. Since all my current CDRW are 650 meg, I went and purchased some 700 Meg disks. However, it appears that these are considered highspeed media, and my drive (a Matshita UJDA330) is considered lowspeed, even though my laptop is a six month old Dell (grrr...)

Anybody know where I can find CDRW 700 2x (low speed) media, if such a thing even exists?

Just a final warning to any others experience this issue; based on my reading 4x media can be EITHER high speed or low speed, so you'll have to read the labels pretty closely.

Thanks in advance for any help the group can give me.

Regards,

~paul

aay
07-30-2003, 07:00 PM
I ran into this exact same problem. I have a 4x CDRW burner. I used CDRW's that were 1-4 speed and they worked fine. When I bought some that were 4-12 speed they would no longer work in that burner. They would work in another one though. It seems like CDRW's are getting harder and harder to find. I got some Memorex at Best Buy and they kept crapping out so I quit using them. As far as I have been able to tell Memorex is the only brand you can usually find at Best Buy's and the like while there are tons of brands of CDR's. Why is this? I wonder if the producers and resellers don't realize there is more money for them in the long run if the try and sell only/mostly CDR's.

pau1knopp
07-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Did a little research, and it looks like OfficeMax offers Hi-Val Brand (HCDRW4X-25RS) CD-RW Media. If you do a search on the product number in parentheses, you'll find quite a few sources for this. Pretty reasonably priced too. Below is a direct link to the Office Max site, but I googled the part number and it seems there are quite a few other places that offer it as well. I'll let you know if any further difficulties after I get them.

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?prodBlockOID=536959929&passPath=/product/prodBlock.jsp&BV_UseBVCookie=yes

pau1knopp
08-05-2003, 02:54 PM
I ordered the CD's mentioned in my previous post from Office Max online. They came the very next day, even though I ordered them @ 3 p.m. the day before. Best part is that they work great! Just wanted to complete the thread for future folks perusing for a similar solution. Let's just hope the Office Max quality continues on now that they have been acquired by Boise....