PDA

View Full Version : My first and second attempt at Knoppix...

frankiejr
07-30-2003, 11:41 PM
hey everyone...

i'm posting from my first successful online venture with Linux! i'm using Knoppix 3.2 from CD. i know it's not much of a milestone for most of the people here, but it's big for me. it's the first time i've ever used linux, and hell... i'm excited!

for an explanation of where i'm at, look at my previous post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3874

here's how i got here:

dl'ed Knoppix 3.2, burned ISO
booted from CD
network adapter not found (i'm on a shuttle SN41G2 / onboard LAN)
sat on it for a day
realized i had a USB ethernet adapter in my box-o-junk...
hooked it up, booted from CD
came straight here and posted!

now i have a great way to test sites i build on linux. also, i'm starting to think about possibly trying to learn my way around this thing enough to use it on my home server.

thanks everyone... wish me luck!

andrei
07-31-2003, 01:35 AM
hey everyone...

i'm posting from my first successful online venture with Linux! i'm using Knoppix 3.2 from CD. i know it's not much of a milestone for most of the people here, but it's big for me. it's the first time i've ever used linux, and hell... i'm excited!!

You could not have picked a better distribution! I would reccommend that you stick with it for a while before trying other distribution. be aware that there are a number of things that you cannot do with a live-eval-CD (which Knoppix is unless you install in on to your HD). and read as much doc as you can - it is well worth the time and effort!

Good luck and HAVE FUN!