PDA

View Full Version : Unreadable fonts when using knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA

arkaine23
07-31-2003, 01:46 AM
A friend of mine is trying out my remaster, overclockix. He has an old PCI et4000 video card, and has to use the alternate Xserver in order to boot. But fonts for things like xchat and gaim are all messed up and unreadable. He's tried changing the fonts but it doesn't work. Is there a config for the XF86_SVGA xserver where fonts can be changed?

Stephen
07-31-2003, 03:02 AM
A friend of mine is trying out my remaster, overclockix. He has an old PCI et4000 video card, and has to use the alternate Xserver in order to boot. But fonts for things like xchat and gaim are all messed up and unreadable. He's tried changing the fonts but it doesn't work. Is there a config for the XF86_SVGA xserver where fonts can be changed?

Most all of the fonts are accessed in in the FontPath lines in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 you should make sure in this file that the 75dpi line is above the 100dpi one and that the Type1 font path is at the bottom of the section and if the font server UNIX:7100 is uncommented then comment it out also check in the file /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers and make sure the you change the -dpi 100 instances to 75 if they are not already set that way.

arkaine23
07-31-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm going to have a hard time adjusting XF86Config-4, since it is generated by auto-detection scripts when booted from the live CD. I'll look into /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers though...

I could tell me friend to boot into textmode, then make his own /home/knoppix, generate an .xinitrc, and also cp a bunch of files from /etc/skel into /home/knoppix and chown them. Then edit teh /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 that was made by scripts at boot-time. Then su knoppix and startx.