PDA

View Full Version : "Upgrade" from 2003-06-06 to 2003-07-26 available

Fabianx
07-31-2003, 03:22 PM
Here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18494

Nickh describes his program, which can be run from the 0606er Knoppix to gen togehter with the 130 MB patchset the new version.

You need to have ~ 2 Gigs of Harddiskspace though for swapfile and uncompressed image + patch, as it needs to be recompressed.

Patch and program is available from:

http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/2003-07-26/knoppixpatch/

as primary mirror.

cu

Fabian

PS: Hope that are good news for low-bandwidth users!

nickh
07-31-2003, 03:43 PM
The latest development release is here:
ftp://ftp.nickhill.co.uk/pub/knoppixpatch.tgz

If you wish to submit improvements, or wish to create new patches, please use this version.

I have improved the documentation.

The resultant ISO is NOT a bit-perfect copy of the original. You therefore cannot compare it using an MD5SUM.

However, all the files in the live file system and all the smaller files on the CD are bit-perfect. In fact, the uncompressed live file system is bit-perfect. You can therefore patch an already patched version of Knoppix using a patch made against Klaus' original version.

The MD5SUM resulting from:
dd if=/dev/cloop | md5sum
will be the same for a patched version and Klaus' original version.

dragonx
08-07-2003, 06:29 AM
Now will this patching program work with re-mastered versions of KNOPPIX?

Pixelman
08-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Hi,

I have been trying to patch my Knoppix 2003-06-06 version to 2003-07-26 and have had several failed attempts so I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the following issues. :cry:

My system is PIII 850Mhz
256Mb Ram
Hda Dual Booting Win 98 & W2K (4 partitions - 1 NTFS and 3 vfat)
Hde (3 partitions - 1 linux Swap and 2 vfat)
DVD Drive (bootable)
CDR Drive

Hde7 has the most free space so that is where I placed the Patch archive that I down loaded and have been trying to work from.

I have followed Nick's instructions as per the readme.

First I boot as Knoppix single then mount Hde7 (the readme says Hda1 which I subsitute to Hde7), extracted the archive. The first attempt I had used the partition that I had setup as Linux swap file and this caused problems when I went to create the swap file on Hde7 as per the readme.

The 2nd attempt I Booted as Knoppix single and noswap this worked Ok and I was able to start the patch application (./applypatch).

Everything was looking good until it got to:
Applying patches and concatenating to filesys.knoppixpatch
rm: cannot remove "filesys.knoppixpatch" No such file or directory

After a while it continued the process and seemed to be going Ok until it got to the mkisofs which started and then came up with this error
Uh.Oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory "Knoppix"
Deleting: swapfile
swapoff: swapfile: Invalid argument
Deleting ISO Folder

I am a relative newbie at the command line side of Linux I have more used the GUI so I am a bit losted as what I should be doing. In writing this I was wondering if the patching script has something refering to Hda1 and that maybe where I am going wrong the only problem I have less than a Gig free on hda1.

Also no this sytem it took about 2.5 hours to go through the whole process does that sound normal?

I look forward to any suggestions

Regards
Pete

bongski55
08-09-2003, 09:29 AM

I ignored this error message.

After a while it continued the process and seemed to be going Ok until it got to the mkisofs which started and then came up with this error
Deleting ISO Folder

I encountered this error while using a partition size of 2.5 GB. When I used a 5 gb partition(note:vfat partition) this was gone. And before I forget use the CLI. by 'knoppix 2' at the boot prompt. Since this process is memory intensive,this helps .

I am a relative newbie at the command line side of Linux I have more used the GUI so I am a bit losted as what I should be doing. In writing this I was wondering if the patching script has something refering to Hda1 and that maybe where I am going wrong the only problem I have less than a Gig free on hda1.

Also no this sytem it took about 2.5 hours to go through the whole process does that sound normal?

Mine took almost 3.5 hours.

Pixelman
08-10-2003, 05:16 AM
Hi

So you were able to get a patched copy that worked?

Yes like you I ignored the first error

The Partition I used was vfat and and it is 18Gig with 60% disk space free.

Yes I did start in CLI as Knoppix single and Knoppix 2 are basicly the same.

The only thing that I may have do is is make the swap file larger than the 1 Gig that was detailed in the readme

Create a large swapfile:
dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1k count=1000000
mkswap swapfile
swapon swapfile

Maybe as Fabian post suggested 2 Gig or more for a swap file so I assume I would only have to change to "count=2000000"?

Also I assume it saves the ISO file to the HDD which you burn to a CD later or is that one of my problems that it has to write it to CD as part of the patch process?

Regards
Pete

bongski55
08-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Are you using the 128mb patch file?

No I did not prepare a swap file in advance because the script created its own swap file at the start. I wonder why there is an instruction to create one when creation of a swap is integrated into the script. The swap file is removed at the end,so are the temporary directories for the 'target' and the 'source' much the same as a remastering process(I assume you had tried remaster before?). There will be an additional file on the patch directory-the 'knoppix.iso' file created by the script which is about 700mb. You then can burn this into a cd or open it with winrar and install it as 'poor man's install' of knoppix.

Yes I was successful in creating a "new" knoppix from my 0606 version although the resulting cd has a problem in my home pc ... but this is a different problem.

nickh
08-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi,

I have been trying to patch my Knoppix 2003-06-06 version to 2003-07-26 and have had several failed attempts so I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the following issues. :cry:

Deleting ISO Folder

The script doesn't depend on hda1. It does depend on a lot of hdd space.

If you can't find the boot catalog, it is likely the CD root filesystem has not been created. This may happen if the tar file which 'applypatch' creates is not bit perfect with the version of Knoppix the patch was created from. The current common patch set was created from an EN version of the disk. if you are starting from a DE version, you will need a patch file specifically for that. version.

The amount of time taken depends heavily on your hardware. If you have DMA set up ont he CD and hard drive, the process will be much quicjker than without.

nickh
08-15-2003, 05:24 PM
:idea:

When I wrote Knoppixpatch, I didn't take into account the differing EN vs DE versions. The patch file is said to work with 060603 version. The patch file I released will only work with the 060603 English version.

a differing EN/DE version is likely to cause mkisofs to complain about a missing boot catalog and fail to create a patched iso.

As I don't have a German copy of the disks, I cannot create a patch set for the German versions. Perhaps someone else can?

Also, the program needs around 3Gb of space. It creates an 850Mb swapfile on-the-fly then removes it before the program terminates. If you don't have enough space on a single partition, you could manually create a swap file on a different partition and disable the part where the script creates a swap file.

fusion1997
08-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Hi,

Great project. I have used the cd as base distro to build linux from scratch. Works like a dream.

Is there any way i can patch the .iso i downloaded under windows? I don't have +3 gig free ext2 space here

Thanks, cedric