PDA

View Full Version : Network don't start auto

lkornowski2
07-31-2003, 09:15 PM
After instalation of Knoppix on my hd, the network not start. Only with command netcardconfig. But i have a DHCP server, and this machine is used on teaching, and the network must be activated an boot. I trying for a long time, but no success. Please anybody HELP-ME.

Sorry for my bad english....

Tanks.

Stephen
07-31-2003, 10:18 PM
You will need to edit the file /etc/network/interfaces and set it to start DHCP on boot. example file below.

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

After editing the file you can /etc/init.d/networking restart from a root console window to re-start the network with the new settings. If this does not work could you post back as many details as possible about the network you are using.

lkornowski2
08-01-2003, 12:07 AM
thanks, but don't work.
any other tip??

lkornowski2
08-01-2003, 12:41 AM
DHCP Server - Windows NT 4.0
eth0 = RTL 8029 found at 0xf780 irq 9

I use Windows terminal Server with another servers, and rdesktop on linux to emulation, on the other linux instaled (RH7.3, RH8, RH9, Mandrake, Slackware) the network its fine!!
I dont understand....

Thanks again..

Stephen
08-01-2003, 01:29 AM
Are the nameservers correct in /etc/resolv.conf and by not working what do you mean? Is there an error message produced that you can post. Something else you can do is post the output of lsmod from the booted HD so I can see if the module for the card is loaded and in use. What does ifconfig -a tell you from the Booted HD you may want to post that as well. The more details the better.

Can you ping the server or an outside address try ping 212.100.234.54 (The Register website in the UK).

lkornowski2
08-12-2003, 06:38 PM
the file /etc/resolv.conf is OK!
The module for my network card it's OK!
the file /etc/network/interface is OK!
But don't start.
To start the networkcard i use the comman:
netcardconfig

But, no resolve my problem.
Any more tips??

mkklavz
04-19-2004, 04:13 PM
I have serious thoughts the driver does not work quite well.
Doesn't work in debian 2.6.5, neither on morphix 0.4.1-d.

Durand Hicks
04-20-2004, 05:17 AM
Open a console and post back the result of ifconfig > ifconfig.txt, as well as iwconfig > iwconfig.txt (if you're using wireless). Assuming you were able to connect to the network before and then lost it on reboot, you may have to use the command
ifup eth0 to bring it back up. Netcardconfig only sets the settings using ifconfig and iwconfig, respectively, and puts its results in /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf but that's not a guarantee that it will bring it up. If you didn't put in a gateway ip address, then that's probably why you can't pull an ip address, as you need to point the NT server as the gateway from which you'll be drawing an ip address from. The command to add that would be
route add gateway (NT server ip address) Replace (NT server ip address) with it's ip address which should be something like 192.168.0.1, you get the idea.

HTH,

Durand

acastilho
04-30-2004, 04:15 AM
After instalation of Knoppix on my hd, the network not start. Only with command netcardconfig. But i have a DHCP server, and this machine is used on teaching, and the network must be activated an boot. I trying for a long time, but no success. Please anybody HELP-ME.

Sorry for my bad english....

Tanks.

I used the "Kurumin", a brazilian dist. Knoppix based, and I had the same problem after installing dhcp3-server. There is some kind of "bug" with pump (a dhcp client) when runs with debian server dhcp, but I solved it putting the string "pump" (whithout quotation marks) at final line of the /etc/init.d/bootmisc. Sorry for my bad english...

André

gromeo
04-30-2004, 07:43 AM
I have some other problems - I've got an static IP, Gateway and nameserver, set up, but after restart, there's no network. Have to use the "netcardconfig" command. Do not have a DHCP server, so, what should I do now?

rusty
04-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Try installing dhcp-client

apt-get -t unstable install dhcp-client
apt-get -t unstable install dhcp-common

HTH

gromeo
04-30-2004, 01:51 PM
You don't understand, my network is not based on DHCP - actually, I rally would be glad not to have it in my computer, because I don't use it! My question is, how to configure my computer that way, so I should not run "netcardconfig" every time I start the PC?

RedCharlie
05-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Gromeo,
Have you tried booting from cd, configuring your network, saving the config to a floppy, then booting with option "knoppix floppyconf"? If I do that, my network comes up as desired. Admittedly, that won't solve the problem of having a correct auto boot but if it works you can unpack the configs.tbz file that's created on the floppy, figure out what it does, and put it at the end of your /etc/init.d/bootmisc file.

A quick and crude hack would be just to copy the /mnt/floppy/configs.tbz and /mnt/floppy/knoppix.sh files to /etc/ and call /etc/knoppix.sh from /etc/init.d/bootmisc

note that you'll have to edit the paths as given in knoppix.sh for this to work.