PDA

View Full Version : [mysql] how do I use it???

Coume
08-01-2003, 10:22 AM
hi,

I am developping my website in php under linux but I need to connect to a mysql db...
It seems I have to copy my db in /etc/lib/mysql/ but how can I access them from my test webpage and what do I need to run to get them working??

Thxs in advance
Ludo

fingers99
08-01-2003, 05:48 PM
The MySQL part is the hardest part. You really need to go to the MySQL site and download the manual. Really. It's very good.

If you do a Google for

MySQL php

you should find lots of tutorials. Don't expect this to be easy (but it's not rocket science, either).

Edwin
08-01-2003, 06:25 PM
It's difficult to say anything without knowing more details. But one thing to watch out for is the case in Database/Table names. If you copied your db over from Windows (which is case-insensitive) sometimes files names are incorrect on Linux (which is case-sensitive). The correct names for the files are tablename.frm, tablename.MYD, tablename.MYI. Also check the permissions.

If you are working on something that did work in another environment check mysql_error(). If you are starting from the beginning I'll second fingers99: there is lot's of good tutorials out there and the official PHP and MySql manuals are really very good.

- - Edwin

Coume
08-04-2003, 07:00 AM
thxs :)

I'll go to the MySQL website and print a nice documentation from work to read it at home :)
eheh

Ludo

P.S: I really start to like Linux... :)