PDA

View Full Version : After Install: How do I preserve my /etc/modules.conf?

shin
08-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Hi,
after a painless installation I like to get rid of knoppix's automatic hardware configuration, so that booting leaves my /etc/modules.conf unchanged.

What'd be your prefered way? :?

thanxalot!
Shin

Stephen
08-01-2003, 07:08 PM
When you install to the HD the auto-detection that knoppix does is removed and the system is made as closely as possible to a "normal" Debian install you have to edit your /etc/modules and /etc/modutils/aliases by hand to make changes. Also the modules.conf is generated at boot and if you made any changes to the files I mentioned before and ran update-modules then the changes would be detected and used.

Dave_Bechtel
08-06-2003, 04:58 AM
--If you *do* end up modifying your system with new hardware, a good suggestion is ' apt-get install discover '.

When you install to the HD the auto-detection that knoppix does is removed and the system is made as closely as possible to a "normal" Debian install you have to edit your /etc/modules and /etc/modutils/aliases by hand to make changes. Also the modules.conf is generated at boot and if you made any changes to the files I mentioned before and ran update-modules then the changes would be detected and used.