PDA

View Full Version : Basic hardware plus keyboard problems

Den
08-01-2003, 02:31 PM
I am having a difficult problems even getting started using the CD based version, while the hardware has errors I cannot even get started with incorrect KB setting making it worse, along with display.

Things I need at the moment is Keyboard for UK and display screen at 800x600 at boot would enable me to start on the other problems.

Den

Stephen
08-01-2003, 07:15 PM
Have you tried the cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) screen=800x600 and xkeyboard=gb I believe that is the country code.

Den
08-02-2003, 05:47 PM
I got over the screen problem eventually by changing monitor, but still unable to change keyboard layout to UK, for instance;
trying to type "keyboard" ends up as "kezboard" plus many other keys problems. Also so any of the few screen I have got, all text in german.

Thanks for trying.

Stephen
08-02-2003, 06:14 PM
So try lang=us then at least you will get an english language boot then go to the KDE control center and then Regional & Accessibility and change the keyboard layout to the UK.

fingers99
08-03-2003, 04:51 AM
An alternative would be to use one of the isos labelled EN. :wink:

Den
08-03-2003, 04:29 PM
An alternative would be to use one of the isos labelled EN. :wink:

Yes but I think the EN iso's are the full package, have searched and all I see is the 2002 CD based one, not really suitable as the 250meg was bad enough on a 56K connection :-(

I did not expect it to easy but not even being able to type without trying to use different keys makes it horrendous.
Though Knoppix is probably not suitable for a newbie, I just wish I had stuck with Linux a long time ago, when I had a Linux partition that I tried to change and ended up with a section of the HD being unusable for a long time.

fingers99
08-03-2003, 10:41 PM
It is the full package -- last time I downloaded it it took a couple of days. I'm told that linuxiso.org have a fast server.

If you can get it on at all (maybe you could find a picture of a German keyboard) then what Stephen suggests (or what's in the original HOWTO) will work fine in Kde (and Kde launched Xterms).

For proper terminal use, (pause while I find the proper link) assuming you want to do a HD install, here's how RockMumbles sorted me out:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2593#12207

Den
08-05-2003, 11:13 PM
A couple of months it would take for the full package plus no way of knowing if even basic keyboard can be sorted, plus a distant memory from first time I tried Linux and ended up with an unusable partition.
While I did not expect a smooth install and want to move away from BG's bloatware, I really cannot handle this silly keyboard problem and even if I can get it sorted I would be faced with it each time I rebooted.

It is a pity that the CD-based version was not available in different lang versions.