PDA

View Full Version : Problem after using Koppix CD

OmegaOne
08-01-2003, 09:15 PM
I downloaded and burned KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-07-26-EN.iso with nero. that worked fine. i then set my 1st boot device to CD and put the cd in. after restarting Knoppix loaded fine and it was great. thing is when i put things back the way they were and restarted i got this error:

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart

the only way i have found to start my computer is to use a windows98 and select boot from hard disk when its done. i know this works, but i want to put my computer back to the way it was this morning. :( windowsXP Pro runs fine when i get it running, but its booting it that is a pain. and i just got my setup perfect too :(

thanks

code-pupil
08-02-2003, 07:05 AM
typing "NTLDR is Missing." into google gave me this hope it works ......

From the Computer Hope Dictionary:

Short for NT loader, NTLDR is a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Microsoft Windows NT load.

Cause:
Systems hard disk drive has FAT32 file system.
Computer hard disk drive has INT-13 extensions with a system-ID type of 0C in the partition table
The heads value in the FAT32 BIOS Pattern Block (BPB) is inaccurate.
Solutions:

To resolve the error message "NTLDR is Missing" follow the below steps:
Boot the computer with a Windows 95 or Windows 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it.
At the A:\> prompt type: sys c: <press enter>

A:\>sys c:
After pressing enter you should receive the prompt "System Transferred". Once the file system has been transferred reboot the computer without the diskette and attempt to reproduce the error.

OmegaOne
08-02-2003, 12:39 PM
i found that too, but that command wont work for an NTFS partition, witch is basicaly my whole harddrive. i think i need to repair / replace my Master Boot Record, witch may mean reinstalling windows after a format. thanks for the help tho

if anyone reading this knows or can find out how to fix or repair a MBR please help me. i dont want to have to use a floppy disk to boot my pc for eternity :(

thanks

garyng
08-02-2003, 02:13 PM
That sounds scary as KNOPPIX booting from CD aren't supposed to touch your HD, at least that is what my experience. Is that something only applies to the latest ISO image ?

fingers99
08-02-2003, 02:17 PM
I remember seeing some issues along these lines reported with Dell boxes. It seems that shutting down and switching off the power is the way to go. Why this should be, go figure.......... :roll:

code-pupil
08-02-2003, 06:50 PM
You could make one of these disks since you can boot off the win98 cd again hope this helps
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2kmag01/html/Win2KRecoveryandRepair.asp

Loper
08-03-2003, 12:25 AM
...when i put things back the way they were and restarted i got this error:

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart
I think that you didn't quite put it back the way it was -- there's no way that the Knoppix CD would clobber your MBR unless you told it to. What's likely is that you set it to boot from something other than IDE 0 or the boot order has Windows confused -- I've seen this happen myself. The Dell tip is applicable, as well.

The "last resort" is not a reformat of your hard drive, but a reset of your BIOS settings, possibly corrupted. Copy the settings down for refrence then dump the CMOS according to your motherboard's instructions, then re-enter the settings in the BIOS setup screens as needed.

cvig
08-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Boot from your Windows XP CD. Go into the Recovery Console. Type "fixmbr" or "fixboot" to fix the problem. I think I used fixboot last time but go look at Microsoft.com for details on each command.

Please post with what fixed your problem so other people can benefit from your experience.