PDA

View Full Version : Gtk program fonts look dead ugly...

Viro
08-02-2003, 02:07 PM
There seems to be a problem with the latest release of Knoppix (26-7-2003), where the fonts of gtk programs look really ugly and unantialiased. Programs like Gimp have fonts that are unbearably ugly.

does anyone know of a way to enable antialiased fonts with Gtk programs?

ocilent1
08-22-2003, 04:00 PM
There seems to be a problem with the latest release of Knoppix (26-7-2003), where the fonts of gtk programs look really ugly and unantialiased. Programs like Gimp have fonts that are unbearably ugly.

does anyone know of a way to enable antialiased fonts with Gtk programs?

Yep, I would have to agree with you there, as soon as I upgraded to the 26/7/03 release, my gtk fonts look absolutely terrible!!! Programs such as the gimp and xmms look like crap!!

It would not be an antialiasing issue here though as GTK 1.x programs do not support antialiased fonts. Its just a plain old bug that make the fonts look really bad in gtk apps. Maybe just a configuration problem??? Anyone out there with suggestions?? Could it be Geramik causing the issues???

ocilent1
08-25-2003, 03:08 PM
Hmm, well I finally worked out why the gtk 1.x fonts are so ugly. It was because I was using Nimbus Sans as my general font under kde. As soon as I changed this to arial or some other type of font, the ugly font rendering dissappeared. Seems to me the Nimbus Sans font does not 'play nice' with gtk 1.x apps.